diy marshall JCM800 info in here

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must re build a 2210 for a cousing this weekend... he want something more METAL, like a laboga MR. Hector(no schematic for this :sad:). I will begin changing all to a more 2203, then I will try some mods.

Are master volume 800´s expensive in the US and A?

You can buy one over here for less than it would cost to DIY one.

But then again its fun to build crap............... :thumb:

master volumes? Never heard it called masrter volume. But the JCM800's go for about2,000 US which is about 1,495.00 euro or 9,813.06 FRF so which I can build one for about 500.00(us) which would be 2,453.27 FRF or 374.000 EUR much less expensive... :thumb:
And yes building it is cool cause no matter how close to the original it sounds better even if you just perceive it to be. Even if it might not be... hand built point to point to me sounds better even though there is no proof. Amp mojo says so though. :green:

Yeah , if you can export me a 800 for a good deal ,
considering the shipping , i'm in !

I've had a few Marshalls in my lifetime , but keep on getting older
and think ......I'll never play live or loud again .
and then i want one

But the JCM800's go for about2,000 US

:shock:

A 2204 (the same as in the dreamtone link) can be bought for 4000-5000 SEK. (572-716 USD)

I really dont think I could build one for less.

The circuit................yes.

But not the whole deal
including cabinet, tolex and all hardware.

But maybe parts are cheaper in the US.

well depending on transformers, for the price you would pay one could easily build one here in the US. Maybe parts are cheaper :? But none the less. Building one is more fun then buying one after all this is DIY this is the edge :thumb:

just don`t buy a 2210 the most ugly jcm800...

the circuit is very messy, nothing classic and diode cliping is horrible. it will take me a couple of days to make the transformation to a clasic 800.

If you can build one for $500US, then do it, I would think $800 or more. But it will still be worth it. Marshall has forgotten how to build a good amp. The circuit is too buissy now and mixed up grounds. And the co-planar PCB! That DIY JCM800 looks like an aluminum chassis, that will affect tone, the fiberglass board makes it brittle enough. Mojo? Voodoo electronics? I think not. Physics. I still find it cheapest to rebuild broke amps.

yes marshall does not know how to make amps anymore. I was brought a JCM 600 to look at that was having problems. The layout was one of the most retarded layouts I have put my eyes on. The main audio board is mounted in such a way that all the wires that connect that to the control are in the way so you cannot pull it out without having to unsolder the power connections and unhook all the Molex connectors.
:mad: :mad: :evil:

Pucho what's a JCM600?

I just finished a JCM800 2204. I build things really cheap and recycle broken SS amps - this was a 50 watt marshall piece-a-caca combo when I started. I had to cut all the tube holes in that%$#$%& thick steel! But it is cooler than generic chassis' and front panels. A friend with a fancy saw cut the combo chassis down to a head and I glued it back together. It worked! The whole thing cost me maybe $100 or so - the Heybohr output was $58. These were taken a few days before I finished it.

jcm5.jpg

jcm6.jpg

The head is neat because it's only 23" wide, not the huge whatever that a real JCM head is. I had a 2203 and 1960A once, that I bought for $400. Sold it. stupid.stupid.stupid. But this one sounds better...I compared it to my friend;s 2203. I voiced it the way I wanted it to sound, I also have the 2nd and 3rd stages with alternative cathode setups in addition to the usual 10K and 820 ohms. They are bypassed for more gain but I don't have them hooked up, I'll put in a DPDT pull switch maybe one day for a boost and see how it sounds. I like the gain of the stock JCM though because it cleans up when I roll off the volume knob a little, but flat out it it still lets a strat sound like a strat even with a lot of gain. The SLO100 I tried just kind of mushed my sound into that generic buzzsaw roar.

My JCM has room on the left side for another turret board and two extra tube sockets for a ef86 stage which has an 12AT7 effects loop and a little channel switcher board. I haven't put them in yet I'm just playing the JCM now - through a 1960a with two greenbacks and two G12H-30s. It's loud. It's badass. It is a beautiful thing. :razz: I am ACTUALLY getting a little better at recording and my friend is helping me so I may have a mp3 sometime soon.

Kiira

Kira, I love that avatar... :thumb:

The JCM600 amps were introduced in 1997, superceding the JTM60's, and discontinued in 2000. Circuit wise the JCM600 amps were identical to the JTM600 amps. The styling was changed to more modern standards though.

The JCM600 runs 4X 12ax7's and 2 EL34 power tubes.

THe 600 that was brought to me had a spider living in it... but that wasn't the problem.

The amp had a dodgy bridge rectifier which was keeping the pre amp tubes from getting their heater voltage thus preventing the amp from working. It also had micro-phonic tubes as they had never been changed. Anyway new rectifier new tubes, and now it sounds like it should. However it ain't no plexi :wink:

The JCM800, Plexi50 and Plexi100 are all quite similar and have attitude ... in your face rock and roll. However I have now been converted to JTM45's, the clean has so much deifinition and warmth with KT66 tubes, there are sounds I am hearing that I don't hear on the others.

The only down side is the 45 gets down and dirty at about half volume, so I have modified it a little to get better range on the clean, which also allows me to drive the Preamp tubes into a mellower distortion before the dirty Phase Splitter distortion kicks in.

If you are going to build an amp, think about the JTM45 - the first Marshall, now that I have one, I think Marshall's sound went down hill a little after that one.

Michael

However I have now been converted to JTM45's

An original 45´will do. But the reissues are horrible.

They completely lack "balls".

But then again, taste is like your ass.

Divided.

who listens to Marshalls nowdays?
who listens to live music period?
But everybody should own a Marshall, I agree.
Get the old Mullard EL34's if you want the true sound.
And the RS Spares as well.

[quote author="CJ"]who listens to Marshalls nowdays?
[/quote]

CJ! Me that's who. I'm so totally mired in the 80s though. I watch Ozzy concerts so I can moon over Jake E. Lee.
who listens to live music period?

Me. There are two clubs in my neighborhood.

But everybody should own a Marshall, I agree.
Get the old Mullard EL34's if you want the true sound.

I actually have a pair. They might be pretty old though, I've never put them in anything. I also have quads of Svetlana, JJ, and Seimens.

rock&roll,

Kiira

[quote author="W DeMarco"]Im working on a 18 watter right now. I found this site, www.18watt.com[/quote]

In Germany we have Madamp who are making guitar amp kits up to 15 W by now.
The can be ordered from Musikding.de.

Latest posts

Back