Cranesong HEDD Pentode Triode Tape Controls

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tablebeast

I have always loved this Cranesong HEDD box, but wondered, what the heck is it doing under the hood to do this triode / pentode / tape emulation? Anyone think a DIY version of this part of the circuit would be viable?

Jesse

There is nothing you can DIY about this part of the HEDD. The triode, pentode and tape is software running on DSP chips. And this is the best example that digital can be great if well done.
Anyone brave enough to reverse the digital part and the program? :green:

chrissugar

gimme the code, and i'll try :idea:

I used the Hedd in a big studio in Paris, incredible sound, top converter, tube and tape simulation as it's write on the frontplate, and one other gift
the wordclock is one of the best i've seen/heard, i made some test on the eye diagram, and this clock got great stability, i used it as master clock to compare with other well known, and i keep this one as master clock for my session, just my humble opinion

Damn, I had a feeling it was DSP. It just sounds so good I thought it might not be digital. I love everything the box can do, maybe I should just buy one. So wait... if its all DSP, do they have a plug-in version?

can you give pics of the innards? It might also be FPGA or some such. either way it would be possible to get the firmware off of the IC and just load it onto another IC....

[quote author="Svart"]can you give pics of the innards? It might also be FPGA or some such. either way it would be possible to get the firmware off of the IC and just load it onto another IC....[/quote]

Why? Cranesong are one of the few companies on the market creating originals and pushing the art of what we do forward. I'd much rather support that than try to clone it. If a cheaper option is required just buy their Phoenix plug in for Pro Tools, it sounds great and I use it all the time.

I've nothing against trying to understand what makes various types of distortion and harmonic enhancement sound good (or not). That's what made the SSL VHD thread so interesting. It evolved into a real discussion.

Just my .02 euro
Ruairi

I had some busy days, so only today I had some spare time to upload some internal pics of the HEDD192.

overview:
DSCF8504.jpg

lots of digital chips:
DSCF8512.jpg

DSCF8523.jpg

DSCF8527.jpg

chips that drive the peak meter:
DSCF8525.jpg

the AD and DA are on separate daughter boards. A big advantage. Any time there is a new converter upgrade you can swap the boards. This box is future proof. I have the latest revisions for both DA and DA:
DSCF8515.jpg

the AD board:
DSCF8518.jpg

and the DA board:
DSCF8517.jpg

chrissugar

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]
If a cheaper option is required just buy their Phoenix plug in for Pro Tools, it sounds great and I use it all the time.
[/quote]

Unfortunately the Phoenix is not the plugin equivalent of the tape/triode/pentode process. Not that the Phoenix is not great but not the same. They are different.
I would realy love to have a VST version of the HEDD192 process.

chrissugar

put a chip clamp on there and downlaod the PIC code.
Maybe the guy forgot to click the "Code Protect On" button, maybe he is/was a disgruntled employee?
:razz:

You guys don't know who David Hill is? He builds some of the most killer tube circuits you can buy. Go look at the Aria tube preamps for tape decks. He knows tube circuitry so well that he can emulate it digitally. You ain't gonna' get shit out of that box by trying to download code and uncompile it. Disgruntled employee at Crane Song? There ain't no such thing.

[quote author="Tubemooley"]You guys don't know who David Hill is? He builds some of the most killer tube circuits you can buy. Go look at the Aria tube preamps for tape decks. He knows tube circuitry so well that he can emulate it digitally. You ain't gonna' get shit out of that box by trying to download code and uncompile it. Disgruntled employee at Crane Song? There ain't no such thing.[/quote]

Most of the guys here know who Dave Hill is. Before Cranesong he was designer at Summit Audio.
I think you are not very familiar with the tipical CJ humor. :grin:

Latest posts

Back