Pultec MEQ-5 relative output level = -3.5dB even in bypass?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlympicPhil

Can this be right?

It's just been pointed out to us that our Pultec MEQ-5 drops the signal level by almost 4 dB, which we've confirmed in our lab with a signal generator / analyser.

After changing ALL the valves the relative o/p level is now -3.5dB but I don't know if this particular unit is supposed to be "zero in, zero out" or if this signal drop is normal.

Any idea anyone?

Phil
Techie, Olympic Studios

[quote author="CJ"]losing gain from an aged tube perhaps?
[/quote]
Well that's where he went wrong... he changed the valves, when he should have replaced the tubes!
:green:

Keef

lol, it's comedy hour at Prodigy Pro :-D

Right - I think I've found the problem... there was a dry joint on an inductor.

Unfortunately, I found this when the inductor fell off the circuit and consequently I haven't got a clue where it was supposed to be soldered in.

Anyone either got a schematic I could have, or can tell me where the "U2M 5MMF +/- .5" inductor is supposed to go? :oops:

[quote author="gyraf"]Here's a redraw - not guaranteed to be correct: http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/pultec/meq5.gif

Jakob E.[/quote]

Thanks Jakob, I already saw that one on your website - it's just the EQ stage, not the output stage.

It says "see the PEQ-1" schematic for the rest of it, but on your site there's only the "EQ-1" not the "PEQ-1" and that "EQ-1" seems to be different - I can't see an inductor anywhere on it. :-?

He might have used CAD symbols, look for resistor like denotes; tructures, boxes, etc.

Even in bypass mode, the loose inductor should be out of circuit.
So you might have other problems.

that might be an oscillation supressor cap, it won't affect anything in the audio band, unless the amp was oscillating in ultra sonic mode, chewing up watts to oscillate out of ear range.

the cap will probably not be on Jakes schemo, he uses a different line amp, right?

that cap should go from plate to grid if I remember right,
V1, 12AX7? into a 6AQ5. Single ended? Cathode feedback?

[quote author="drpat"][quote author="OlympicPhil"]Anyone either got a schematic I could have, or can tell me where the "U2M 5MMF +/- .5" inductor is supposed to go? :oops:[/quote]

That's not an inductor, it's a 5pF ceramic cap. It should live somewhere in the makeup amplifier, so it will affect the operation, even in bypass.

Is it a SS or tube unit?[/quote]

Oh, really?

Damn that Wikipedia giving me false answers :evil:

[quote author="drpat"]OK, I see it's a valve unit :oops: I'm sure Bomb Factory should have a schematic on their website :green:

Now that I know it's a tube unit, CJ is right, it goes from pin6 to pin7 on the 12AX7...[/quote]

Oh, OK, thanks for that.

I've changed that now (it only measured about 1.5pF on my capacitance meter - too low for my regular DMM but the cap meter picked it up) and it's made no difference :mad:

It's looking like it's a transformer problem I think. I've tested/changed everything else :-?

Here's a schematic for the MEQ-5 line amp, though I can't say for certain that it's accurate.

Have you verified the tube complement in your unit? Most especially that it is a 12ax7 in circuit? Someone may have previously substituted a 5751 or 12au7 or something by accident, or to purposely reduce the gain.

Hope the schematic helps,
Good luck!

John

[quote author="jdr"]Here's a schematic for the MEQ-5 line amp, though I can't say for certain that it's accurate.

Have you verified the tube complement in your unit? Most especially that it is a 12ax7 in circuit? Someone may have previously substituted a 5751 or 12au7 or something by accident, or to purposely reduce the gain.

Hope the schematic helps,
Good luck!

John[/quote]

Oh my God, you're right, you know... someone before me had changed the 12AX7 to a 12AU7! When I changed the valves, I used the valves that were in there when I got there as my guide for what to replace them with!

I'll keep you posted... changing it for a 12AX7 now...

Yup, that's exactly what it was... with a 12AX7A, (is there a difference between a 12AX7A and a 12AX7 by the way?), it now gives a relative level of +0.25dBr.

Thanks all for your help, I feel like such a muppet now :-D

Phil

Glad it worked out :thumb:

is there a difference between a 12AX7A and a 12AX7 by the way?

The "A" denotes a later revision of the original type. (I think) in this case 12AX7A is lower noise when powered by an AC heater supply because the heater filament is spiral wound (like a helix), and also the filament has a slower/controlled warm-up.

John

don't use the 12ax7.
it will be very noisy, in my experences, at least.
but they are pretrty rare, so most likely, you will have an A in your stash.

Back