High Humidity, Moisture, etc.,.....bad news or not?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiString

Hopefully some of the tech guys here may see this and comment.

Recent heavy rains have flooded our studio areas, etc., resulting in continual high humidity and moisture levels. The only thing that may have suffered direct exposure to water was my S/craft desk as everything else was either moved in time or in racks above any risk of direct H2O contact.

My concern is what affect the humidity, etc., may have on rack gear (comps, pres, etc.), should I be worried about indirect damage to the electronics, etc?

:cool:

We keep a dehumidifier running at the studio when we're not working-- works great but you have to keep an eye on the water level as they'll fill up and shut off.

AC works also perfect. A dehumidifier is same working principe. The AC has the advantage that the water is drained to the outside.

[quote author="rattleyour"] works great but you have to keep an eye on the water level as they'll fill up and shut off.[/quote]

many have a hose attachment that you can run straight into a drain and run them continuously

I got a pretty hefty dehumidifier for my studio from dehumking I think it is called on ebay. Was very cheap and kicks ass. 1 year and counting so far. And yes Air Conditioning works too. Condensing moisture is bad for pots and stuff. Try to ventilate with fans if the outside air is drier. The more the better.

If it was a big flood some fire damage companies may be able to rent you these super fans that can dry the water up faster if it was real bad. I was working at a company with alot of high end electronics and the fire damage company turned the place into a wind storm. None of the equipment was permanently damaged. I would get your mixer to a nice warm ventilated spot with a big fan on it for a couple days.

Also some equipment that gets wet will not function. But after a prolonged drying time will work perfect again.

A/C = Air Condition, yes pucho ;)

And for the tubes on the dehumidifier, yes that works as long as the tube is not blocked, kinked or .... Then the thing runs over and you have a small lake in the studio. Dont ask ... :?

AC and Dehumidifiers work after the same technic. Inside a fan which blows air through a cold radiator, water condenses, voila...

Difference between AC and Dehum. is that the heat exchanger for the AC is outside the building, the one of the dehumi. is inside the box, so the air gets cooled down and heated up again.

Guys, while I appreciate the replies, apart from the reply from bcarso, they don't address my actual concerns.

While the "flooding" was minor it was sufficient to extend throughout the studio and adjoining room, blower/dryers and dehumidifiers were put in (paid for by the insurance company) to dry out any water from the base of walls and the carpet prior to removing it. Everything from the studio is currently stored in my garage/workshop where I can't easily control the temp or humidity and this what is worrying me.

:cool:

Living in Malaysia where humidity is almost constantly above 90%, you are not going to have any short term problems, floods causing high humidity for a few weeks - you'll be okay. If it is humid constantly for months or years, then either a de-humidifier or air conditioning will help.

I've had lots of gear just lying around in non-airconditioned rooms for 11 years, no problems with them firing up and working, but have found mould flourishing on some things like speaker cabs, rubbery surfaces etc.

Michael

Latest posts

Back