To Marik and anyone else: My thoughts on a DIY ribbon mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Since you let the cat out of the bag on your ribbon design, I figured this is something we can talk about in public for everyone's benefit.

I'll be sticking with a single-ribbon design for now, and my thought was to follow the Reslo idea on corrugating the ribbon, as seen in this post:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=15302#15302

The idea being that I could corrugate the ribbon in such a way that it full 1/4" thick face of the magnets I bought would be taken advantage of. You know the magnets I'm referring to, I think. :wink:

Sticking to a single-ribbon design would also mean a lot less machining.

Anyway, that's my bright idea. Corrugate the ribbon to have a large cross-section to match up with the chosen magnets. I don't know if it will help anything, but I do know my voice has sounded best so far on a ribbon mic. :thumb:

EDIT: Changes the thread title so nobody feels left out. :wink:

[quote author="Consul"]Since you let the cat out of the bag on your ribbon design, I figured this is something we can talk about in public for everyone's benefit.

I'll be sticking with a single-ribbon design for now, and my thought was to follow the Reslo idea on corrugating the ribbon, as seen in this post:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=15302#15302

The idea being that I could corrugate the ribbon in such a way that it full 1/4" thick face of the magnets I bought would be taken advantage of. You know the magnets I'm referring to, I think. :wink:
[/quote]

Why? The magnets you have are very strong, and with "conventional" corrugation will work just fine.

The reason for that kind of corrugation is that they used thick duralum foil, where the ribbon works in "piston like" mode. If you try something like it with 2um foil, it most probably won't work well.

Sticking to a single-ribbon design would also mean a lot less machining.

Don't do double. As I wrote, it has problems, and was rather an idea I wanted to try. Apparently it sounded OK, but with a single ribbon you can do better.

Okay, roger that. Just stick with the tried-and-true designs and everything will work well, right? :thumb:

What about that phantom-powered impedance converter? Would that be something worth building into the mic? Maybe it could be put on a switch to turn on and off as needed.

Back