SSL4000E Issues....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sender

I'm having a strange issue with my console. While going through the desk one day, I realized that channel 16's small fader was bleeding, a distorted bleed, into the stereo buss. Cutting the small fader used to take care of this just fine. However, now when I cut the small fader of 16, the large fader distorts on channel 15. Does anyone have any light to shed into this?

Note: the console is in Mix mode.

I'm assuming you've tried swapping channels 15 and 16 to see if the problem swaps also?

Does 'float' work correctly?\

How about "sm. fdr from channel input"
also "sm. fdr from channel output"
and both buttons together. -Does any combination affect the bleed?
Is it fader-position dependant?

Don't re-cap yet. Chase problems by changing ONE THING AT A TIME, or you're on your way to madness, and that's a road I'm not keen to follow anyone down. Re-capping is like changing the oil in a car. Yes, it can help, but not if the problem is an intermittent turn signal... in this case the analogy is probabgly valid, since I've never had that problem be caused by a bad cap on an SSL...

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]
I've never had that problem be caused by a bad cap on an SSL...

Keith[/quote]

I have... Mainly in the input stages mic and or line... I have spent more time recapping and fixing switches they anything else on our 4K here. At the moment I am chasing a master section problem where the cues stop working but if we flick the d-sub in a fonzie from happy days fashion the cues come back to life and are normal for a long time. But you do bring up a good point... Has he tried to reroute the signal and does the bleeding signal follow it?...

[quote author="SSLtech"]Does 'float' work correctly?\

How about "sm. fdr from channel input"
also "sm. fdr from channel output"
and both buttons together. -Does any combination affect the bleed?
Is it fader-position dependant?

Don't re-cap yet. Chase problems by changing ONE THING AT A TIME, or you're on your way to madness, and that's a road I'm not keen to follow anyone down. Re-capping is like changing the oil in a car. Yes, it can help, but not if the problem is an intermittent turn signal... in this case the analogy is probabgly valid, since I've never had that problem be caused by a bad cap on an SSL...

Keith[/quote]

Hey Keith, I'll try those things and repost. The console was recapped no more then 5 years ago, so I doubt recapping is an issue.

Hey Lebowski,

Is that the SSL from Emerald room A that I see on Primal Gear's website? Holy smokes, that console changed my life! Just bringin' it up since you're in that hood. Maybe Keith knows about it too...

Pucho... NEVER seen that with caps on an SSL. Not once, not ever.

Switches... yep. I hear ya. Amen brutha. -Ask me about 9k switches when I'm out of therapy.

V-series are a law unto themselves, and the fact that the electolyte spleege on the logic cards tends to send signal every-frikkin-where all at once... well that's a different matter, but I've never once seen it on an E or a G as a result of a cap. Not to say it's impossible, but I would say it's highly unlikely.

D-sub... on the cues? -Where? I'm genuinely confused... :?:

Keef

Dsub? this would be right under the center section and the only way to access it is to remove the bottom pannel under the console in a similar fashion to being a car mechanic.... Then reach up in there till we find it. IIRC it's a dusb I gave that old fonzie smack could have been a ribbon...
Not to steal the thread but got in interesting one where the computer died on our 9K and it was replaced by SSL as a warenty repair... They also replaced some cards in the master section... Anyway since then the console has had a mind of it's own. It will randomly mute and or DIM the control room monitors. When it dims it turns on the communications usually Omni. When it cuts it cuts. This is completely random and more over has happened when no one is with in reach of the console. I'm thinking faulty logic :?

MRAC connector? like a much fatter D-sub I suppose. -You mean on the bottom of the 651... or do you mean the ribbon bussing connection?

Wow... if uou've got problems there I'd just make a replacement ribbon... won't cost much to do, and your intermittents will be gone for good. -Whacking it all the time can only make things worse in the long run.

Keith

Back