Portico 5042 guts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see some schematics of those op amps tricks. I understand as they work, but in any case I would like to see those schematics. somebody can give me some links?

SSLtech said:
Mailliw said:
More than the sum of its cheap parts?
Well, not all the parts are cheap. Those output transformers are Da Bizzniss, for example. The PCBs are well made.

...and -crucially- they sound better than ANYTHING you can name made by API/Universal Audio/Neve corporation/SSL or just about ANY other company that you can name.

I'm deadly serioius.

Stop looking inside and thinking "how can that be any good?", and LISTEN to one.

amorris did that recently with some mic pre/EQs, and he bought one. My bosses did that recently, and they bought twelve. Most people who have heard them have bought them.

They sound bigger than you can imagine.

-And check my posting history, I'm pretty conservative. I don't go in for capacitor snobbery, cable voodoo or boutique frippery. But that doesn't alter my experience that the Portico stuff is un-be-friggin-lievably good sounding.

I mean it.

And there's a LOT of weight in those words.

Keith

Yep...

I rented a 5043 for a week...and the first night i used it, i was literally in ******* shock.

I bought the unit shortly afterwards.

You will have to pry it from my dead, lifeless fingers.

D.

SSLtech,

While I agree that one shouldn't judge an audio product by looking inside and figuring out cost without adding in marketing and salaries… I still think the cost of the Portico series is on the high side of other products in the pre/eq/comp realm. I also think that comprehending that it is a business I believe the salaries with people involved are on the high side especially Rupert who is in business to make money and is making a killing off the Portico line.

Oh, here’s one line in the description of the Portico circuitry

“Very high performance transformers have been developed over the years and we have returned to discrete single-sided circuits wherever possible.”

I believe Neve can get away with this without individuals questioning motive because certain people get caught up in the hype when a sentence has “Neve" included.

:shock:

Purusha said:
DESOL, is it any good for mix buss or mastering? I heard it beats the 33609...

Hey Purusha,

Sorry i'm late on this. I think it would be fantastic across the mix bus.
I briefly tested the unit in this application before i bought it and i thought it was great. Definately has some good mojo going on. The BEST on drums. Super versatile.

D.

Latest posts

Back