Repairing backlights + EL stuff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiira

Hi hi,

I've been replacing EL backlights, the foil, recently on my Akais. The MPC-60 was easy but I fubarred the s900 by taking the metal surround apart to get under the LCD screen because the foil was glued under it. dumb dumb dumb. The replaced foil works great but I cannot get the LCD screen back onto the circuit board correctly so that the screen is not garbled. The cheezy metal tabs on the retaining surround are what detemins the pressure and you have to get the contacts which are on something that looks like a rubber gasket, to line up correctly with the traces on the circuit board. Just wondering if any one has ever solved this problem and what was your technique?

I found a few interesting places that sell EL backlights too. One is a car place
www.caribbeancustomdesigns.com

So like they want $17 for an 8"x4" EL panel with a 12V. inverter. But... the connector is in the wrong place to use in a sampler. His other EL backlights have the connector in various places but nothing that would fit the Akai S1000 I need to get working. But some of that stuff might be useable for some folk. I am wondering, is this the same EL stuff that would be used in a DIY T4B? Cheap way to get some if it is!

The other place looks a lot more promising http://www.beingseen.com but they cannot be reached. Their online store is down, no answer phone no answer email.

They sell EL sheets without connectors but with traces designed to provide the power to the screen after it is cut to size - DIY stuff. I hope they come back because this is what I need.

Kiira

Latest posts

Back