Console frame DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnd

Hi.
Anybody tried DIY console frame?
I have a bunch of channels which I want to put into frame. It will be a desktop console.

Any suggestions?
Is aluminium OK for console RF shielding, or do I need iron?

Maybe somebody has plans for console frames? I'd really like to take a look at any console frame, to get ideas regarding costruction.

thnx for help
gnd

I've made consoles with aluminum chassis to save weight. An issue that may not be apparent is that you want the console frame to be pretty rigid to prevent damage to panel mounted controls and good connection integrity especially if using edge connectors. If the console is intended for live use it must be robust enough to survive modest drops and lots of handling.

One approach I used in some consoles almost 6' long was a little like an aircraft wing with two sheets of thin aluminum riveted to U shaped struts. The resulting frame base was rigid yet light weight. If intended for a fixed install "set it down and forget it", you don't need to be as rigid or as light weight.

JR

Hi, I will make a console frame from wood
(with aluminium profile to mount the mixer modules)
But it is for a small mixer (< 10 inputs)

Something like the synth builders :

http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/cabinet/dotcom/dotcom.htm
http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/namm/namm2.htm

If I have some RF issue, maybe I will add metal sheet inside

63r58xg.jpg

console frame i built a while back. 3x1" aluminum. brazed together with aluminum brazing rods.
aluminum is hard to weld/braze, found that out. was a SOB, but my last few welds looked pretty decent. figures :roll:
they are pretty big. large one is about 5ft. wide.
not heavy at all and very rigid due to the bracing i used.

they were for a midibox project, but i may use them for a summing mixer or sidecar or something in the future.

Latest posts

Back