Dumb IEC power inlet question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

For north america 120v 60hz operation, when viewed from the solder side of the connector with the ground tab on the bottom, which blade is hot and which is cold?

why the F dont they write that on there...

dave

thanks dave!

are you suggesting that I should know which side in the wall socket is hot and cold? you are totally overestimating me...

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]why the F dont they write that on there...[/quote]
They do - just get the "Rich Bay" brand connectors next time :green:

The left side is "N" and the right side "L".

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Shouldn't matter. Both non-ground pins should be treated as "hot".

The guys who put the wiring in the walls sometimes know less than you do. In my kitchen, 60% of the outlets had White and Black wrong.

It's a valid question, though, since it's good practice to wire up the hot--or the conductor that would be the hot if you plug into a properly-wired outlet--to the unit's line fuse.

The line fuse should be the first stop after the line enters the chassis, before the on/off switch, before anything else.

thats exactly why I asked, I wanted to make sure I put the hot inline with the fuse. Does it not make a difference which leg the fuse goes on?

dave

If your fuse is in the neutral, and the hot is shorted to the (grounded) chassis, the fuse won't blow. The current has found a path bypassing the fuse. That's why it's good practice to fuse the hot. You can't control the wiring outside of your box, of course. Some manufacturers play it extra-safe and fuse BOTH hot and neutral, although this is fairly rare.

Back