Eagle PCB changing board size

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

Do a Zoom All. Then use the magnifying glass with the "-" sign.

To resize the board, click on the Move tool (looks like 4 arrows), then put it on the edge of the PCB then drag.

[quote author="buttachunk"]hey--

when i do a zoom all, it zooms WAY out (to maximum amount...) the move button will only move tracks and components...[/quote]

If it zooms way out, you probably have a component way out there somehwere. Is this the free version? First you need to put all components inside the PCB. The free version has a limit on PCB size.

I had this problem some time ago... it is a bug
Download the latest version 4.13.

By the way... these crac*ked versions are working... but all brd files and libraries are infected and will only work with this version... no updates. You cannot ever use your work in other versions... a very good pira*cy protection :wink:
I worked one year with eagle and i believe this program is the hardest to understand. Also the pro version costs about 1500€, the librarys are really bad, mostly not usable... you have to create you own, i read about problems with non working pcbs because of a bug, for self etching it is also bad because the pads aren't "free".. the traces goes over the pads... so i decided to use an(other) "professional":roll: pcb program.
(at lest it works, and is cheap) :wink:

What cracked software are you blabbing about? We're not using cracks. Eagle has a freeware version.

http://www.cadsoft.de/freeware.htm

If you decide to go upgrade to the pro version, you'd have to buy the modules. i.e. the schematic editor from of the freeware version will not work with the pro pcb layout router. This is what Cadsoft told me.

[quote author="nrgrecording"]I had this problem some time ago... it is a bug
Download the latest version 4.13.

By the way... these crac*ked versions are working... but all brd files and libraries are infected and will only work with this version... no updates. You cannot ever use your work in other versions... a very good pira*cy protection :wink:
I worked one year with eagle and i believe this program is the hardest to understand. Also the pro version costs about 1500?, the librarys are really bad, mostly not usable... you have to create you own, i read about problems with non working pcbs because of a bug, for self etching it is also bad because the pads aren't "free".. the traces goes over the pads... so i decided to use an(other) "professional":roll: pcb program.
(at lest it works, and is cheap) :wink:[/quote]

I know the free version of eagle... i would only give the hint not to use a crack*ed version. Of course it isn't good to use these kind of software but thats only warning to the guys who want to make pcbs with it... because your boardfiles and schematic files and libraries aren't working in the end. :wink: ...and it isn't nice if you'll notice that if you had already done some pcb layouts :green:

Eagle's a funny old bugger... We have a network version at work that i started toying with, and as you've already mentioned... it was really hard to pick up.

3 Months later, I had a chance to try protel... and wierdly enough, I went straight back to eagle.

anyway, the point i was going to make, is that the freeware version of Eagle should suit most people's needs... Most of here will never do anything over 2 layers (due to cost of the PCB's), and even if we do need pcb's bigger than Eurocard, then it's relatively easy to partition your system around that.

Cheers

R

ratsnest is used to fill polygons...

the board size shudnt be the prob - i normally dash the default dimensions it gives when u create a brd from a schem and then just make the new brd dims on the dimension layer with the line tool - works fine :)

I'm lovin eagle - great prog once u got the way it works nailed, just made my 1st dbl sided brd and alls good :thumb:

I first tried Eagle, found it hard to use... then I downloaded a bunch of other programs recommended here on the Lab, but I always return to Eagle.

If I stop using Eagle for a few months, it takes some time getting used to it again... but once I'm in the middle of a project, it's easier.

For the incomplete component libraries, if the component I want isn't in the library, I pick one that is "close enough"... for example, transistors... I just use a different value and just make sure the pin outs are the same (EBC, or whatever). Same thing with capacitors... I go to Digikey, get the lead spacing of the caps, and pick a cap in the library with the same lead spacing and diameter (or close enough).

I don't know everything in Eagle yet, (haven't tried creating my own component yet) but what I know is enough to produce a correct PCB. I just use the Image Export to create PCBs at home.

I love Eagle!

You need a mouse with a scroll wheel to REALLY use Eagle. All the zoom is controlled easily with the scroll wheel.

The freeware version is a lot buggier than the pro version which I have now been using for some time. Previously, I tried out just about every demo and Eagle is by far the easiest to use for me. Once you learn most of the keyboard shortcuts, and start learning how to use the more advanced features, you'll wonder why people pay several grand for other CAD programs.

[quote author="Admin"]I love Eagle![/quote]
I'll second that. I've been using it for the better part of 5 years now, and I can only say that I've tried everything from Easytrax to Mentor and Eagle is my constant companion. If you're lucky enough to be a student, you can get Eagle for a significantly reduced price. They were very accomidating when I called them as a college student. The libraries are constantly improving, and I've only had to add oddball components, like the Crystal CS3310 or a 2520.

I don't work for them, but I freely evangelize the product, especially the highol superior version that you buy.

And yes, a mouse or a scroll wheel is a requirement to use it efficiently.

-dave

Sorry, I get the feeling we're moving off topic... But I'll carry on anyway :grin:

It seems to me, that the only time you really need to move away from Eagle is when you move into larger projects, split over many cards, but also - projects where you working with processors running at 50MHz or over.

At that speed - you really need to be able to analyse your layout for things like capacitance etc. (IBIS models come to mind...). Eagle simply doesn't have that functionality - even in the pro version.
Pity really, if it included some things like that - it would really really rock.

Back