sm57/sm58 transformer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan

does any body know?...I have a dead SM57 and just the head for a SM58(pulled from a dead wireless) does anybody know if the transformer that sits in the body are interchangable between a 57 and a 58 or are the mics too different? right now, I'm using the 58 head without transformer and it sounds quite good, but a little weak and with a strange little highmid peak, but would prefer to have it the way it should be, with transformer...I would just try it if I had them both here, but they are on different locations...would it be worth the trouble, or are they too different?

thank's
j

They used to be exactly the same base assembly for the 57 and 58 so, yes, the transformer is/was the same.
However, that was over 15 years ago, I haven't looked inside one since then. If you go to the Shure website, they have all the leaflets available as PDF downloads.
[Edit] The User Guides no longer show part numbers for the base or transformer. But I would be confident enough to say Shure won't have changed it so that the 57 uses something different to the 58.

as long as you don't have to pull the cap off to get at xfmr wiring, it should be easy to fix.
that transformer is pretty tough, i bet its just the hookup that went bad, otherwise you may be looking at a bad capsule, but who cares @ 99 dollah, make yah hollah,...

[quote author="CJ"]as long as you don't have to pull the cap off to get at xfmr wiring, it should be easy to fix.
that transformer is pretty tough, i bet its just the hookup that went bad, otherwise you may be looking at a bad capsule, but who cares @ 99 dollah, make yah hollah,...[/quote]
on the dead 57 .... it has been hit by a bummer..eh ..drummer..the top came off and pulled one side of the membrane with it..so no rescue possible there...so I'll use the transformer/body for the 58-head instead...but thanks anyway.. :grin:
j

Latest posts

Back