Accutronics springreverb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodog

hi folks,

my first post here... i'm rather a noob on the electronic/DIY front but very interested in the possibility of getting my hands on some funky home-made gear.

at the moment i can quite cheaply get 5 accutronics (http://www.accutronicsreverb.com) spring reverb tanks (3 x short 8EB2C1B, 2 x long 4FB3A1B).
i've always wanted a good-sounding spring reverb, so this seems to be a good opportunity.

my idea is to use all the springs in parallel to make one big mo-fo of a reverb. :razz:

a couple of questions i hope some of you guys can answer;

-what kind of electronic segments will i need? i know i'll need an amp, but that's about the limit of my knowledge :oops: ... will i need 5 amps?... is there a possibility to have some control over the individual spring's soundlevels?

-what kind of case would be okay?... i don't mind putting them in a carton box if it saves me money, but i guess decent casing is necessary.

cheers!

The accutronics webpage should have all the info you will need for this. But to get a good sound you will need to match all impedances. The 8EB2C1B wants a 600 ohm input and the 4FB3A1B wants a 1475 ohm input, but you can probably get by with a 600 ohm on both, I am not sure how they handle impedances lower then they expect, but they should not mind it at all. They both want to see 2250 ohms on the output. If you give them each their own drive amp and recovery amp things will be easier on you since paralleled impedances get smaller, and the smaller the impadance the harder it is to get to without transformers. Individual drive and recovery amps will also give you the ability to control the mix and tone of each tank without alot of weirdness. While there are advantages to running two tanks parrallel, I am not sure of the advantages of 5. The case can be anything, but both of those tank want to be mouted open side down and horizontal, so you will need a good sized case for all of those tanks. If you understood all that about impedances get to work on designing drive and recovery amps, if not, I suggest you check out PAiAs kit and start there. www.paia.com. Kits are a good place to start and paias kits give a good explanation of the theory and assembly.

adam

Latest posts

Back