Racking SSL Modules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seemed to be allot of posts regarding the Racking of SSL 502 modules and I thought it would be good to open a topic for people to share their success stories with racking of these and other modules.

I have a 502 and a 505 module and am trying to rack it here's what I can share so far:

502 pinouts are:

1a Master reset

15a/15c
Lamps

16a/16c +18v

17a/17c/18a/18c 0v

19a/19c -18v

20a/20c -18v (-18V BU?)

21a/21c
-24v

22a/22c -18v (LEDS)

28a Dynamics Pre EQ

29a
ON

30a UNBAL out

32a UNBAL in

Other pins used for databus

Ok questions so far:

Do you need to tie master reset (1a) to ground or voltage? if so what
Do you need voltage on LAMPS (15a/15c)? if so what voltage
What is pin 20a/20c used for?
What is pin 28a used for, does this need tro be tied to voltage or ground?
What is pin 29a used for, does this need to be tied to voltage or ground?
Do you need to tie any of the data lines to voltage or ground?

Any help from anyone who has succeeded would be great and maybe some of us with modules and problems can get them going.

I will write up connections with schematics for everyone once I can get answers.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

i don't know if i can share this, if not please inform me and i will take it of the forum. here's some picture i have:

linemoduleh.jpg

[quote author="ukbrightonbloke"]Thanks, link did not work.

Is it possible to email me the pic and i can upload/redraw?

Chris[/quote]

send me a pm with your mail.

Hi ukbrightonbloke,

All you need is the schematic page 7 "Connector cross reference",page 9 and 11.

Connect to ground pin 12a,14a,17a,18a(Use star grounding).
Connect to +6V pin15a.
Connect to -18V pin 19a,20a,22a.
Connect to +18V pin 16a.
Connect to -24V pin 21a.

Connect input to pin 32a or 31a.
Connect output to pin 30a.

This connection work but if you bypass the eq, no sound is going thru the module.
I'm interested in SSL knowledge so if any ssl tech is around ,some explanation should be appreciated.

Voila,I hope this will help.

I spoke to Cyril at Raindiirk who gave some great info about how they racked these. They have some small power supplies for sale for driving up to 4 modules. They are £178 each. (not sure if that is inclusive of tax)

Follow the link and email Cyril if you are interested.

http://www.lntech.nildram.co.uk/

Will be posting what I have found soon.

Chris

Hi Gachet

I always use start rounding, torriodals sure i will sort it out but the no audio when unit is "bupasssed" looking at the pinouts I am beggining to wonder if there is a send and return loop that is only in circuit when unit is bypassed.

Hopefully someone will have an answer!

Chris

Can someone help me here? I have a pair of SL 542 EQs to rack but neither schematics nor pin out. I assume that due to SL 542 beeing part of the 500/5000 family the EQs have the same pin out and power requirements as mentioned earlier in this thread? Thanks in advance

Man...... I'm all over this. I have two SL510 compressors and two SL502's. At least I think they're 502's. I'll have to check. I've been collecting information on these for awhile but I haven't had the time to actually start doing this project. I'm going to be following this thread. If I can provide any help, I will. Please keep this thread going. Cyril at Raindirk is cool. But that jackass ssljunkee..... watch out for him. He needs to be medicated. DW.

Hello

All you need is -24 +6 -18 +18 GND 2X24V 30 va torroidal is fine for a pair of modules.
Don't forget to tie the master reset (pin 1a) to -24V through a 22Kohm resistor.
Hope it will help...
Regards

Chad said:
Hey just wondering if anyone has any info on building a PSU for the 502s??
Thanks in advance
Chad

Simply buy the 5 rail powerstation from JLM audio, and a toroid transformer:

http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Power%20Supply.htm

These are perfect for a pair of 502's (or 542's), and Jim is located in Australia too. And you don't need the +6volt rail for the EQ's.

Back