Help needed to check output impedance.........

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiString

I need to confirm the output impedance of the "tape sends" on my console.............is there any particular way to do this so I know whether I'm getting -10 or +4dBV?

Thanks in advance.

:cool:

-10/+4 says nothing about output impedance.

To check output impedance, set output to say 0dB and load it with a pot or resistor untill you measure a 6dB drop. Then your load resistor equals your output impedance..

Jakob E.

Jakob,

Sorry about that.........I did actually mean output levels.

I have been modding the channel PCBs in my Soundcraft console to change from -10dBV to +4dBu on the tape sends. S/craft list this mod in the manual for the console, however, rather than totally removing the two resistors involved, I've made them switchable so my send levels can be matched to either my -10dBV h/disk recorder or my +4dBu 1" 16 trk.

I was just wondering if there was some way I can actually check the levels once I have the console re-assembled.

ChrisO :cool:

[quote author="HiString"]I was just wondering if there was some way I can actually check the levels once I have the console re-assembled.[/quote]
Measure the output with a voltmeter? Just connect an oscillator to the input (a freq. around 100-200Hz should be fine), adjust it so the VU meter reads 0dB, and measure the output. If the output is around 1.25V it's +4dBu.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Latest posts

Back