Bill Whitlock AES Lecture Online

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

http://www.aes.org/sections/uk/meetings/a0705.html

I haven't had a chance to listen to it in full yet, but I'm sure it will be informative, as one has come to expect from Mr Whitlock.

This lecture has got to be compulsory listening for all denominations of AE really; whether you're a DIY-er, or work for an OEM, it's essential stuff!

Justin

Good stuff, quite educational. Thanks for posting!

I'm not sure I get what he is saying about safety grounds and not using a separate technical ground. The NEC does allow for this. I'll have to go back and look at the book.

>>>this guy really is a "cut the crap and marketing fluff" type of engineer.

Except that's spelled with a cap "E". Engineer
Most Engineers fall into that category. That's why they don't let them out in public often, they quickly contradict the sales crap. :green:

CJ, I think he has been back on our board using the name Sonic Screwdriver. Do a search and look at the thread about some UA knobs and tell me if I'm wrong.

Given the opportunity to speak in public, I'd promote the products I work on in my day job too! 1) That's bread and butter for me. 2) I put a lot of effort to try and make them the best that marketing will let us given the $ restraint.

Peace!

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Given the opportunity to speak in public, I'd promote the products I work on in my day job too! 1) That's bread and butter for me. 2) I put a lot of effort to try and make them the best that marketing will let us given the $ restraint.

Peace![/quote]

It's certainly tempting. Nonetheless, an AES figure-of-merit for talks includes how little the talk was plugging product. Sometimes it's unavoidable. When Hofer gave the talk about using Farina's swept signal techniques to do a host of measurements in a twinkling of an eye, he managed to keep it fairly theoretical. But then the next day there was a four hour workshop, non-AES, in which the new analyzers were picthed. it was very well-attended, and I finally got to meet Hofer face-top-face. He did visibly flinch when I used the word "bulls&*t" in a sentence, so you are forewarned that he is not from California :razz:

Once (I have blissfully forgotten who the company was, although I think it was big and Japanese) the talk was so much marketing hype that when the not-very-knowledgeable second presenter started projecting images of a "typical" family and the scenario of when Dad gets word that his daughter has strained a fetlock or something and is guided to her bedside by his in-vehicle nav system, when the family picture appeared I shouted out "Crush them like bugs". I confess I had been drinking some wine....

SonsOfThunder said:
CJ,  I think he has been back on our board using the name Sonic Screwdriver.  Do a search and look at the thread about some UA knobs and tell me if I'm wrong.

is bill whitlock sonic screwdriver?

bradb said:
SonsOfThunder said:
CJ,  I think he has been back on our board using the name Sonic Screwdriver.  Do a search and look at the thread about some UA knobs and tell me if I'm wrong.

is bill whitlock sonic screwdriver?

No, sonic screwdriver, a.k.a. Winston O'Boogie (the reference that CJ was making), was a former designer for UA. See EDIT: the original Forssell Opto thread (link below). There are some sordid details in there regarding his experiences as a freelance designer.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=374&highlight=opto

I thought sonicscrewdiver o.d.'d on meth. ? not to be perpetuating rumors...
so could that be WOB?
and what is the relationship 'tween SS and revolution recording???
I know there is a common link 'tween 47 pre and RR and WOB and SS, no?

Oh yeah, I saw Whitlock @ aes meeting 5 years ago, it was real awesome info; I will have to revisit that.
cheers

edit:my correspondences from SS are signed 'david'
so they are probably not the same person.
But SS did have an affiliation with RR. anybody know more?

His name is David Hinson aka Sonic Screwdriver/Winston O Boogie.  I guess since he still has the site revolutionrecording, he may be still alive.  He sold some stuff on the BM as SS.  I got my xfmr while other people didn't get their goods.  He was very cool with helping me with ideas for circuits, but he may have gotten wind of his redd schemos floating around and got upset. 

Sorry to hijack this old thread.

thanks guava.
i was one of the people that was ripped off by SS.
I'll give him a call

also sorry for the hijack

By coincidence Whitlock is addressing this Tuesday night's North Hollywood Sportmen's Lodge AES LA chapter monthly meet.  Dinner at 7PM is 20 if res is made before, 25 at the door.  Lecture begins about 8PM, for which there is no charge (and you don't have to be an AES member---I'm not).

Great lecture, I wish I could see the greaseboard as he's talking, but good stuff anyhow.

I like technical information without the marketing hype. The two never should be mixed
unless its 100% truth , which is nearly impossible to find as Whitlock states.

good info on impedance matching , signal noise, safety grounds, CMRR , transformers,  THAT chips, and SSM2141 , as well as backround history as the 600ohm telephone equipment age as was borrowed by the audio industry.

Can anyone give information on where to listen to these lectures on different topics regularly. This Whitlock presentation is the first of its kind in my experience, I'd like to hear more , just don't know where ? www ?

I don't know if any of you made it last night but it was well worth the effort to get to NoHo, which as it turns out will be the last AES LA event at that venue (sigh, just when it had gotten to be more-or-less of a routine for me).

BUT the good news for those of you who could not attend: Whitlock said he will send slides of the presentation via email if you request it of him.  Simply ask for same (material from the AES-LA 25 Nov lecture) at [email protected]

It's interesting that it was mentioned above that Bill mentions how hard it is to get accurate non-marketing information about this kind of stuff.  The irony is that for years AES was hesitant to let Bill talk out of fear that the presentation would be mostly a commercial for Jensen Transformers  ;D  (EDIT:  I see I'm being redundant here  :-[  ). However, I was there when he did talk years ago, about the time he had nearly launched, with THAT Corp., his own transformer alternative in sand state, the InGenuis bootstrapped input resistor chip line receivers.  He managed to keep it quite reasonably objective.

His material on where most of the potential differences arise between safety grounds in properly-to-code mains power systems may surprise you.  Hint:  it's not usually leakage currents.

There was also some hearty lambasting of cables and power conditioners, and liberal employment of the bull word that had so appalled Hofer (see one of my previous posts).  A question on many lips:  But Bill, how do you really feel?

Latest posts

Back