Direct replacement for 741 op-amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Chunky

Hello chaps,

I am renovating an old mixer. Sadly it is studded with 8-pin 741 opamps. Is there are a far superior audio op-amp available with the same pin arrangement - something I can just slot is as a replacement.

Thanks,
Ronan.

Why is a mixer full of TL071's sad? Does it actually sound bad? If the frequency response leaves a little to be desired perhaps all it needs is a thorough recapping.

Many older Tridents and other wonderful desks were full of TL07x IC's, and most of the 'upgrades' I heard for those boards (using 'superior' components) don't sound as nice as a well-maintained stock unit.

What brand/model is your mixer? Do you actually dislike the performance, or do you simply believe that more recent IC's would yield better performance? You might be surprised.

Just a thought.

If you absolutely insist on replacing the 741's then try Burr Brown's (now TI's) OPA604. It's a pin-compatible FET op amp, but watch your current draw. Make sure the power supply is sufficient.

I suggest you upgrade only one channel first and then compare to see if it is, indeed, an improvement.

JC

Actually I was going to suggest TL071s as at least better than 741s without drawing tons of extra current. Better still would be 711s. But keep an eye (scope) open for oscillation; most 741-based boards didn't do much in the way of supply bypassing.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back