Upgrade Studio Projects VTB1 OpAmps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickiefunk

Hi. I have a Studio Projects VTB1 pre amp. I decided to have a look inside to see what going on and noticed that it uses a 4580 OpAmp for the XLR Micinput, 2082D for the Line/DI input and another 4580 for the Output stage.
I know that these OpAmps are far from great so I've decided to upgrade them! A few people have suggested that the OPA 2134 would be a good choice for both the XLR Mic and Line/DI inputs. For the Output stage I've had the BJT 5532, LT 1469 and OP 275 recommended.
What OpAmps would you recommend for upgrading the current ones in my VTB1 and has anyone modded a VTB1? What other simple upgrades could I do to this preamp?

Thanks

Have you read these posts?

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=476568&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Depending on the complexity of the circuit and how many pins this opamp has, perhaps you could wire up a stripboard with a couple switchable sockets on it. A/Bing this way would be cool and gang daddy-o

In practice though, wont any one sound different to another, and "better" in this case depends on what you are recording?

Ok. I'm pretty much decided that I'm gonna use the OPA 2134 OpAmps for the inputs but am trying to decide on an output OpAmp. I have narrowed down my choice to :-

NE 5532
OP 275
LT 1469
LM 4569

The problem I have is that I'm unable to try the VTB1 out at the lab where my electronics tech works and it's quite a distance from where I live. By the time I get back it's near on possible to really assess which OpAmp works better and I'd have to keep making long journeys to and fro to change them. Which OpAmp would you recommend?

Thanks

Our sound memory is like what, seconds long? So even if you were at home swapping op amps would take too long to get much useful information out of it. Try find a way to make repeatable(not vocals since those will vary loads from time to time) recordings and compare those.

Simple question, simple solution that does not involve choosing a particular opamp. You need to install machine pin sockets. Then you don't need a soldering iron, a tech or anyone's opinion(s) about what will work the best. You can find out for yourself by swapping opamps to your heart's content.

So now, do you need an opinion about which brand of socket you should buy? :oops:

Seriously I hope that resolves the issue once and for all for everyone on all the forums. I always install sockets so that I can compare the results of the upgrade. But don't cheap out on the sockets!

Peace!
Charlie

Latest posts

Back