Line Mixing Console design with THAT ICs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boji said:
I'm ashamed  to admit my ignorance on this one, but, what's the standard output of rack gear? +4dBu?
It's the most common nominal operating level in specs. But Many mixers operate at -2dBu at the insert points; FX designers know it well and make sure their gear has what it takes to operate at reduced level.

The reason I ask is perhaps the THAT 1200 with a gain of -0dB is not the right choice...
This question leads me to believe you haven't clearly defined the level diagram. What's the internal operating level?

Does this mean it's simply 28/47 or a gain of ~0.6?
Yes. But who decided the 47k and 28k values?

One last thing- am I to add a 47k bus resistor to the end of the bus before going into the ACA
You don't need that.

This question leads me to believe you haven't clearly defined the level diagram

You, good sir, are right on the money, as usual.  8) I was just consulting the Dove design papers on this.

But who decided the 47k and 28k values?
Frankly they are arbitrary and from other people's design suggested values.  :-[

I hear you. Much to learn and sort out.

boji said:
47k and 28k values?
Frankly they are arbitrary and from other people's design suggested values.  :-[
The only reason for using such high value for the injection resistors is that it reduces the load imposed to the pan-pot and aux pot(s). I don't see any justification why they couldn't be scaled down to 10k. That would drop the bus impedance down to about 200r, which would benefit from the use of a VLN opamp/DOA (about 1nV/sqrtHz).

Now, is there a justification for making the summing amp less-than-unity-gain?
In terms of gain margin, since the opamp is in non-inverting mode, effective BW does not change below unity.
A commonly given reason is that it gives an additional xdB of headroom for the summing amp. This is often based on the ASSumption that a number of channels mixed equally would sum algebraically, so 2channels->6dB, 4channels->12dB, and 10 channels->20dB, which would clip the summing amp. A more conservative approach is that channels would combine quadratically, so 2 channels-3dB, 4channels->6dB, and 16 channels->12dB; for a large mixer, say 48 channels, the cumulative level would be about 16-17dB above nominal, which does not leave much headroom.
In fact, the actual math is in-between, since transients actually may combine algebraically.
But mixing is not math; a typical mix would involve about 4-6 dominant channels, that would constitute most of the energy, the rest being almost negligible in terms of signal strength.
I've never seen a case where, with all individual channels properly set, one had to move the faders down because of summing amp overload.
In the current state of SS electronics, hitting the summing amp hard (within reason) is beneficial to S/N ratio, without any adverse effect.
That may be significantly different for vacuum electronics.

Latest posts

Back