(yet another) mini-1176, rev. D, (half rack)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

It's finally finished, calibrated, and sounds great!!!
I stuffed the board way back in March and only now got the thing racked. It took having a full week off work to get it done. Wow, what a lot of work.

01-front_small.jpg

01-front_lit.jpg

[MORE PHOTOS HERE]

I'm very pleased with the results.
Thank you everyone who shared your knowledge and findings in the main thread, pointed out potential T-pads, corrected my parts list, etc. etc. etc. Thanks Mako and Gyraf for making the project possible, Brian for being my build partner, JRE for selling me the VU, stagefright for the power resistor help, and everyone else who patiently answered my newbie questions. You guys rule. :guinness:

Ah... The Pinky Toscoderro Comp. i hope Al is serving the disco fries tonight. ;-)

Very nice build Kato

Wow Kato that's great! Never even considered a half rack. That's a cool idea. Nice build too. Hope you enjoy it. I LOVE mine! That meter is badass looking too.

:thumb: :thumb:

holy schmoly kato!! :shock:
that is just one beautiful, original and very lovely looking Rev.D! :thumb:
i always go with the basic rack colors because i'm a basic kind of guy, but when i see stuff like your Rev.D i feel like i should experiment with colors and chassis, front panel layouts, etc. i'm am completely enamored.
awesome job kato! :guinness:
kind regards,
grant

[quote author="gevermil"]
Hows that A-21 working out ?
Your youngin looks unpleased
[/quote]

I brought the unit upstairs to show my wife because she rarely travels to the underground caverns beneath our house.

The camera doesn't show it but our daughter was delighted with a new object to mess with. Twiddling the knobs held her attention for several minutes. Our slow camera seems to always capture the moment after the perfect photographic moment. :)

The A-21 sounds great! I worry that old transformers will muddy up the sound so I auditioned audio through it before I committed. It has a 30 - 30k Hz range, so say the specs. Sounded great after volume adjustment for stepdown compensation. It seems like the ideal input for this project. $17 on eBay.

[quote author="guavatone"]
Ah... The Pinky Toscoderro Comp. i hope Al is serving the disco fries tonight. ;-)
[/quote]

Ah, happy days reference. Took me a minute.

My last two projects have been green simply because I only had one color of spray paint. I figured this project called for a new color. I chose pink on a whim in the spray paint aisle at menards. Got purple to match. I have no fear of pink gear in my studio!

[quote author="sonicwarrior"]
What is the green thing on the following image?
[/quote]

Gyraf is correct. It's a 12-watt power resistor I got at hamfest.
I followed Stagefright's lead and overspec'ed.

[quote author="Stagefright13"]
Wow Kato that's great! Never even considered a half rack. That's a cool idea. Nice build too. Hope you enjoy it. I LOVE mine! That meter is badass looking too.
[/quote]

Went with a half-rack only to save money on the enclosure. It's actually 12" wide, from Par-Metal.

Joe (JRE Productions) sold me the meter for a bargain price at the black market. Came with built in 12v lamps and bezel. I only wish I could find more of them. They are true VU meters and quite inexpensive if you can find them.

[quote author="dissonantstring"]
...i feel like i should experiment with colors and chassis, front panel layouts, etc. i'm am completely enamored...
[/quote]

Hey thanks Grant.
I went for a change after realizing my previous stuff all looked the same - same knobs, same switches, same light green paint. I'm going to try to mix it up a bit more from now on.

Thanks friends for the props! :guinness:

Latest posts

Back