Any feedforward compressor / DIY project available?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

I was just checking the latest Tonelux videos and I like the idea of having the feed-forward type
of compressor to get the extra smack on drums. I wonder if there is any circuit for a similar DIY
compressor project available around here?

API2500 was among the first ones which had this option I believe.

I might do that. Although if there was a project with some available PCBs would be even better.

I plan to borrow a Portico 5043 for some tests to be really sure if I need another stereo compressor with feedforward option or not :wink:

Sorry if I make you loose the inspiration. Don't take it so damn serious. :razz:
I just can't judge the processed sample without first hearing the unprocessed.
I need to hear what compressor did to that sample. Maybe you are more of a pro
and can hear this but I can't.

But thanks for the good intentions :thumb:

[quote author="mediatechnology"]Conflict doesn't lend itself to creativity. Given that I'll develop more stuff in silence.[/quote]
Please don't leave... it'll be no surprise that we're from various corners in the world and given that we're all different persons on top of that.
I must admit I can understand your feelings, I've been rushed by Purusha's myself before :wink: , but as I (want to) understand it it's because he's very eager and is near a computer most of the time, so can & will answer quickly.

To be honest, I have some problems myself as well when people jump in stating they NEED & MUST GET this and that (not necessarily the people here in this thread), but then I realize that it might mainly be because of where we're from.
(But of course the possibility still exists that some people from wherever they're from are just... 'not too nice', but that's not up to me to judge)

So there'll be a difference between how things are meant and how they're written. But also (and more importantly), it'd be nice if writers are aware of this, so that they take into account that some people from 'the more modest regions' may mistake the directness of their words.

Maybe it would be nice to have something like an automatic correction-mechanism that converts our messages based on the region we're from :thumb: just like we have the time-zone indication.

Regards,

Peter

I don't think people realize what an embarassment of riches this place is. The brain trust around here constantly amazes me. I don't do much DIY but I have learned so much here.

In the end you can only do what you want to do but I have enjoyed watching your design come together.

Damnit. Paul pretty much nailed it. Embarrassment of riches, indeed. This forum is better than anything else out there.

I hate it when this happens, Roger and Wayne, but it is completely understandable. Folks who have never designed anything from scratch and developed it to the point that it works well really have no idea how much time and effort is involved. I don't see any way to change that, unfortunately.

And when the final product (schematic, pcb, software, whatever) is pretty much given away, you ask for more? C'mon, Purusha. Don't take this "place" for granted. It's definitely changed in the past year or so, and not for the better, IMO. Let's not fly it into the ground, eh?

A P

When a customer gets serious about a piece of gear, what happens usually is they send me their own material to process and I send them back the processed files. That works very well. Other parties just believe what I say and have not been dissapointed.

I was just about to ask you that Roger. But I didn't know that I stepped in the war zone over here :roll:

Anyway, I rather not comment anything what is going on... but would say only that I really can't hear the
impact some unit has on the sound clip if I don't hear first the unprocessed sample. Sorry for being such a PITA.

Gyraf's gear is done based on the most known gear in the music production world so it doesn't really need
to proof it's quality in one sense and people go easily along without hearing the samples first.

I admit, I have never read any thread about the development of the Pico compressor so I have no knowledge about it...
I did check your samples Roger. They do sound nice but I need to know how nice were they sounding before the Pico.

Anyway, I can buy the real Portico if I really like what it does so don't think I came here to get some free schematics based
on someones months of hard work. I do appreciate what some of you share around here and I don't take anything
for granted. I just asked a few questions. If there were no answers, I would be just as happy as I am now.

Don't let the need to be respected get to you, cause you will be left alone at the end. Such needs have no value among the real saints.

Whoah.

Just steady on there, Purusha.

You make money out of this forum, let's not forget that.

You get LOTS of free help out of this forum, let's not forget that either.

The VERY MINIMUM respect due would not be to reply to generous individuals by commenting that you feel their efforts are not up to what you 'expect'.

If you really like the originals and would buy them instead of building a clone, please answer the following:
1) Why did you build an LA-2a? -Surely you should buy one.
2) Why are you building an 'Oxford' GSSL? -Surely you should buy one.
3) Why did you build an MC76? -Surely you should buy one.

And I agree, rolling eyes emoticons do NOT go over well when someone is being -so far as I can see- as helpful as they possibly can.

-For someone who sends people PMs asking for troubleshooting help with everything from 1176's to GSSLs, it does all add up to rather a self-serving approach... -I notice that Kevin (KHstudio) posted a PM reply in the appropriate thread... THAT's how everyone benefits, instead of just ONE individual...

So perhaps you should treat people who contribute more and benefit less with a little more respect?

Please give it some thought, if you would...

Keith

Ouch. I regret now I even asked something...

Seems like I have been misunderstood again. Looks like I live in another planet or something.
Every time I want to say something it comes out understood in the wrong way...

Maybe I should just stop asking questions and forget about the whole DIY stuff I got sucked into lately...

[quote author="mediatechnology"]My wife informs me that Mars is in retrograde...[/quote]

I dunno 'bout that... My Snickers is in centigrade...

(about 4°Centigrade in fact... -It's in the Fridge-) but my Three Musketeers is about 125°Fahrenheit... -I left it in the car, and that has annoyed me more than a little... -Perhaps if we all had a Hundred Tousand Dollars we'd all be more mellow?

100GRAND.jpg

Keef

Back