my gssl smoked on first power up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd suspect it's not something with the power supply. Rather, something downstream dragging down the 12V rails. Keep in mind the 15V rail is fine, so I'd assume the toroid is hooked up properly.

Did you disconnect the daughter board (hopefully on a connector) and see if the rail stops sagging?

[quote author="dinesh"]You can check 12V regulators by disconnecting output pin from the circuit.[/quote]

ok cool will try that....

matta here are the pics u asked for.......some of the components are raised as i've been replacing these areas and i want plenty of wire left if i need to swap and re solder again.......also the ICs are out on the sidechain cause i was doin some measurments without them......but they were definitly in the right way when they were in......oh yeah and i got THAT2180 VCAs..........u can see the burn marks on the 10R that smoked....thats why i got the new one raised cause it did happen twice
board1.jpg

board2.jpg

board3.jpg

board4.jpg

board5.jpg

board6.jpg

board7.jpg

board8.jpg

board9.jpg

board10.jpg

YOUR SIDECHAIN VCA IS THE WRONG WAY !!! (Sorry for shouting)

Flip it. Pin 1 goes toward the front.

Yay !!! :green: :thumb:

[quote author="Greg"]YOUR SIDECHAIN VCA IS THE WRONG WAY !!! (Sorry for shouting)

Flip it. Pin 1 goes toward the front.

Yay !!! :green: :thumb:[/quote]

Indeed it is! This is why a picture is def. more than 1000 words, well spotted Greg, beat me to it, LOL!!!

Cheers

Matt

doh......wat a complete dufus i am!!!!!!thanx Greg for spotting that one.. so i've switched the vca but its still not working tho..... the audio goes dead after inserting the sidchain ICs which it didnt do before.......but on the positive side i'm now getting 12VDC after the 78L12.......after the 79L12 i'm still getting -23vdc so maybe that reg is fried....i'll swap it out...........but this is good.....one step at a time ........dunno why the audio has now gone........so i need to run through some more stuff...........

:grin: :wink: :oops:

[quote author="gerardmanvuca"]doh......wat a complete dufus i am!!!!!!thanx Greg for spotting that one.. so i've switched the vca but its still not working tho..... the audio goes dead after inserting the sidchain ICs which it didnt do before.......but on the positive side i'm now getting 12VDC after the 78L12.......after the 79L12 i'm still getting -23vdc so maybe that reg is fried....i'll swap it out...........but this is good.....one step at a time ........dunno why the audio has now gone........so i need to run through some more stuff...........

:grin: :wink: :oops:[/quote]

I think you may well have toasted the sidechain VCA as you sent voltage to the wrong pins and could have taken out the 79L12 in the process.

I would replace the 79L12 first BEFORE inserting the sidechain VCA and check your readings... if your readings are correct then get a NEW sidechain VCA and test it.

Cheers

Matt

With regards one of your questions how does 15v AC become 22V DC
Have a look around the web for the following number

matta,
ok will do exactly wat u advice......lukily i've got a spare unused vca so with a bit of luck i might get it working today....touch wood!

uk03878,
ok i'll check it out

i'll let u guyz know how it goes...........so back to the iron then :green:

F*#KING YEAH!!!! It's working!.......i didn't need to replace the VCA in the end......it was the 79L12 that was blown!....te unit sounds sweet there's just some minore issues with make up level but thats cool i'm sure i'll find the info to sort that.........i'm so happy right now......... i'd like to thank all u cool ass hombre's out there. And cheers Greg for spotting the ultimate NO1 rookie mistake of the year! thanx to u guyz i've learnt a whole bunch from this thread and i'm already orderin parts for the G1176. sweet........ Big up to Gyraf aswell for making it all possible :green: :thumb:

hey guys, on powering up my 1st gssl the 10R resistor, on the negative 12V rail, smoked! i figured out why its because i wired the yellow and black wire on my toroid to the board the wrong way round. i figured out how to do it correctly from sintecs image....check it HERE.

i then wired it correctly and there was no smoke but none of the knobs work and there is no compression. the board does pass audio but i think i might of fried some of the sidchain. my readings are good for 15v+/- but i cant get a -12v reading. i can get a +12but only in one location.......

i'm a rookie so if u guys have any ideas wats wrong with my gssl please let me know.......cheers guys
Cheers! I am having the same problem with the 10r resistor. It starts to smoke, except i put out the THAT2181c's. The link you were posting doesn't work anymore - maybe you can send a new one or a photo on how its done properly? Im in Europe by the way, so i wired the toroidal transformer so that the red and the orange are connected.

Schematics & pictures attached. Would be awsome if somebody could help me!

Attachments

• ssl.pdf
    507.7 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-11 at 18.58.53 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-11 at 18.58.53 (1).jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 19
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-11 at 19.08.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-11 at 19.08.09.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 19
Back