Master Power Source for several mike Preamps - Practical?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluzzi

I've finished soldering my first two GR Pres. I'm planning on building two 1290, two 990 based, and two API types. Thats 8 pres in all with 4 power supplies to make.

Instead of building a power supply for each one I'd like to make a single one in its own rack and use several of JLM's power supply kits (this way I can adjust each individual pair's voltage and have better isolation). I'd just have connectors for each one to relay power to individual preamp pairs in 1RU racks. I figure use a higher rating VA for the Power Transformer and feed secondary from it to each JLM PS board.

Am I crazy here? Seems like I'd avoid some redundant transformers and maybe cut down on some possible hum source at the same time.

The only thing I don't know is how to isolate each JLM board (or if its even needed). I can't just feed the current from the Power Transformer in parallel, can I? Do I use diodes? Also should I protect with fuses on the DC side or AC side of each JLM board?

I figured someone must have done this already.

jim

One power supply is practical but mobility/flexibility can be a problem. For example, if you want to use preamp X somewhere else and you take the power supply, all the preamps in your studio now cannot be used because they have no power supply.

Latest posts

Back