Song mixed with my own DIY gear (Sound file added!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

It's 95% done, I think I still need to do some minor adjustments beside the mastering but overall this DIY gear really rocks. :thumb:

I will tell you later what gear I used for recording and mixing.

Here is the zip file

Thanks... could be better if I had a real room for recording the amps. I recorded all guitars through
Motherload speaker simulator (the best you can get) and using real amps like Messa and Engle.
My hybrid Pultec and (Drip) LA-2A did a great job IMHO :thumb:

Song mixed with my own DIY gear (Sound file added!)
Hey, this doesn't make sense like this... in order to properly assess this mix we need to have access to the individual tracks as well :twisted: :wink: :thumb:

sorry, couldn't resist... :green:

Flaheu, are you on Mac?

Ah, I know whats wrong. The file must have been downloaded more
than a 100 times by now... that is what you get with free uploads.

Anyone generous to share 30mb of ftp server for uploading the files? :grin:

I recorded all guitars through
Motherload speaker simulator (the best you can get) and using real amps like Messa and Engle.
I disagree. the best speaker simulator that you can get is voxengo pristine space(or SIR) with impulse cabinets. simulate internal reflections inside a cabinet, the position of the mic, the mic, isn`t practical on the analog world.
I have a colections of near 100 cabinets with different mics and positions and I can change it with a click.

here you can find a lot of cabinet impulses http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=212825

and here is SIR http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html (SIR is freeware)

I build an engl kind preamp and it come to the pc directly that is my setup for home recording. I ´ve build some analog speaker
simulators and a second order hipass, a 4 or 5 order low pass and a notch never will be enough. the impulses are recorded with a power amp, cabinets, speakers, mics,room and mic pre, the impulse capture the frecuency responce and time responce (reverb, echo, reflections)of all, but not the dinamics. because I´m using just the preamp I´m losing the power amp saturation (tubes and trafo) so the right way is record the amp from the speaker output with a DI box capable of that.

here are some samples of a pod with impulses instead the stock pod cabinets(look at the botom of the page, theses samples are not mine).
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=404561

I have used even some amps simulators plug ins as juicy77 and I have obtained better results always with impulses
http://www.bteaudio.com/software/Juicy77/Juicy77.html

Nobody posts music here! :shock: :green:

Sounds great purusha...keep up the good work.

What console did you mix on...or was this ITB?

D.

Sounds good! Very much an "in your face" mix. For my taste I might like the vocals up just a hair compared to the guitar and maybe a bit more definition in the bass. But overall, it sounds great....

I'm also curious to know more about your recording/mixing chain.

[quote author="12Bass"]I'm also curious to know more about your recording/mixing chain.[/quote] Same Here, but I'm also keen to know more about the instruments used, before the recording chain......... mainly the drums......... Lately I'm becoming more and more fascinated with different drums and how they sound.......................... :grin:

[quote author="DESOL"]Nobody posts music here! :shock: :green:

Sounds great purusha...keep up the good work.

What console did you mix on...or was this ITB?

D.[/quote]

He he, I thought I should show what DIY gear can do. I think there should be more music posted here.
After all this is what we do with all these DIY projects, right? :cool:

I used Midas Venice 160 for summing and it's EQ along with my stack of DIY gear and all great digital plug-ins.

Basically I had
Purple - Pultec - LA-2A on bass
CiB - LA-2A on the vocal
CiB on kick
Dual Pultec - SSL on drum group
Dual 1176 on instrumental buss group
Dual Pultec - Drawmer 1968 on mix buss
Transient disigner on guitars
SPL Vitalizer on Over Heads

And all tracks were recorded nicely through my DIY gear more or less. Good tracking goes a long way :thumb:

Guitars were Ibanez (7string) and 5 string Bass...
Drums have samples glued on top of the real snare and kick.

Wow - great mix, HUGE guitars - although the overall sound is a little too crushed for my taste. sounds a bit like it's splatting out of my speakers (maybe that's the "in" sound these days? :? )

Noob question for you all - How is it that I can hear the reverb trail after I hit the stop or pause button?? It is as if I am listening to it straight off your system, with the post fader reverb (I am playing the file on windows media player) :shock

Just listened to your Mix. That is amazingly good. You've got me fired up to finish my other DIY projects.

Latest posts

Back