GSSL Relay using EAO Switch Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

I thought I'd start a thread on exactly how to wire this up, what PCB's to use, how to wire the P/S etc., as I could not find clear info on what do use and what to do. I'm using Greg's sidechain board, and I want to use 2 EAO switches on the front panel. The first will bypass the unit, the second will engage the external sidechain (position 6 I believe on Greg's board). Perhaps someone has ready made PCB's, or we can get some made. So, what do we need and how is it done?

Thanks,
Siegfried

I did similar on my gssl for bypass. Tapped off DC after the bridge rectifier, eao switched to two 24v relays switching the outputs. This is from memory but i think i drew it out. I'll have a look for it at work tommorow.

Theres alot of stuff in the forum about 'true bypass' relay circuits (switching the inputs and the outputs) but its not necesary in most studio situations.
U don't need a pcb for the bypass. Its only a few components, stripboard is fine.
However maybe a generic relay bypass pcb would be nice if someone can be arsed to do it. Perhaps its already been done?

paul

The original SSL design uses FET's to do the switching, so they only use a single EAO switch.
Jakob's design switches the signal in a different place and needs a seperate pole to take out the makeup gain pot.
What I did was to use a DPCO 24v relay and use the +/- 12v rails. Modern relays only take about 6mA so it shouldn't be a problem.

best place to take relay power is the unregulated supply voltages, from the rectifier + and -

the 78L/79Lxx tends to get too hot if loaded more.

Jakob E.

Heres my notes. Maybe of use or confuse you more:?

Circuit
GSSL-RELAY-BYPASS-circuit.jpg

stripboard layout

GSSL-RELAY-BYPASS-strip.jpg

Think the stipboard layout is drawn as viewed from underside.
The voltage after my rectifier was about 21V, but this was enough for the relays.
I don't think i needed R and C on mine

I've build several GSSL's with relay bypass. I used to tap AC power from one of the secondaries for the separate relay power supply (basicly the +15v-0v half of the gssl power supply) but somehow I always got some hum this way.
For me the solution was to make a separate power supply for the GSSL itself like Matta dit in this thread..

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=18855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=difference&start=0

This way I could just use the regulated +15 v for my relays without getting any hum.
There are some nice relay bypass boards for sale on the black market which are perfect for a so called "hard Bypass"

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22981

When you go for this "Hard Bypass" option you can just solder jumpers on the GSSL control board so that it is in the "IN" state.
I prefer this way because the signal dos not travel through the GSSL circuitry when in bypass mode.

Does anyone have a PDF of a PCB overlay to build one of these relay boards? It would be nice to get a bunch of these going. Enough to power 2 switches, Bypass and External Sidechain or main power etc.

Any thoughts?

Sig

Latest posts

Back