Is this another clone being sold?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paxworth

LA2A possibly a clone or is it a known unit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23793&item=3749162327&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm not sure I understand the question. Yes, it's obviously a clone, a clone of an LA2A. Are you asking whether or not it was really made by ADL--in other words, is it a clone of a clone? :wink:

> LA2A possibly a clone or is it a known unit?

Well known commercial unit.

http://www.anthonydemarialabs.com/products.html

Clearly inspired by an LA, but knowing DeMaria, it is his own interpretation.

At $850, you may as well buy it.

LA2A possibly a clone or is it a known unit?

That's an ADL compressor... I don't know if Mr. DeMaria's design is nothing more than a cloned LA2A, but it's a known unit.

> is it a clone of a clone?

Ask the seller for the serial number, and verify it with DeMario.

Frankly if I were cloning an LA2 with intent to defraud, I would dress it as an LA2, not a recent recreation.

Seems more likely someone bought a ADL, used it a while, and now wishes to sell it. More musicians need to sell gear for cash than cloners clone.

and herein lies the problem... ADL can sell a clone and be considered a 'reputable designer/manufacturer', but if someone no one knows sells their own LA2A clone, i have a feeling you guys would jump all over him. Now what i'm saying differs from SMGaudio, since he stole Gyraf's picture right off the website and tried to call it his own... but aside from that, where's the difference? I consider ADL's limiter to be a weak imitation of the original, in my experiences with both. I prefer the Manley ELOP since it offers something different and in my humble opinion, better than the original design. How is the ADL unit any less of a 'clone for profit' than something a member here might do? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, this is a viable inquiry. I'd like to know the difference in the opinion of some of the 'senior members' here...

ADL did his own design. Reverse-engineering and all. He did not just copy a public explicitly non-commercial DIY-project.

He even may have gotten permission from UA?

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]ADL did his own design. Reverse-engineering and all. He did not just copy a public explicitly non-commercial DIY-project.

He even may have gotten permission from UA?
[/quote]

Gotcha... thanks Jakob!

[quote author="JPrisus"]and herein lies the problem... ADL can sell a clone and be considered a 'reputable designer/manufacturer', but if someone no one knows sells their own LA2A clone, i have a feeling you guys would jump all over him.[/quote]

Good point. I personally think it's a matter of being honest with your clients... If you're selling LA2a clones, do your own internal layout and your own mods, tell people it's a clone and don't put a friggin' Teletronix logo on the front panel.

Peace,
Al.

The point is clear to me.

I think that if you want to sell some DIY gear, you should not use a circuit that is exactly the same being used in a readly available comercial product. And copying the PCB artwork, as smgaudio was doing, is even worst in this case.

In the other thread that I´ve started pointing to the smgaudio ebay auction, after he apologize, it has been sugested that he uses some old schematics of gear that´s not currently a commercial product. You have plenty of RCA, WESTERN ELECTRIC, COLLINS, LANGEVIN, ETC, ETC, ETC schems available. But you should use your own PCB design for this purpose.

It´s not hard at all. Many people in here has been making PCB artwork for their own DIY projects, so why one wouldn´t do for a commercial product? I see commercial DIY units more as Boutique audio gear than any other thing. Big companies in the market today started like this.

So, if you take an old limiter schematic, make your own circuit layout and sell it for any kind of money you want, teher´s nothing wrong with this. MANY, MANY audio hoses does exactly this tiday. DeMaria is just one example.

Now, if you don´t want to make your own G9 mic preamp, you should contact Jakob at Gyraf and buy one unit from him. Yes, he posted the project for anyone who wants to DIY for non-commercial purposes, but he still sell this units, I guess. For this he´s a great guy. Lot´s of respect, Jakob!!!

:thumb:

I think it´s clear where the line that shouldn´t be crossed is.

Now, if you want to make a clone of anything in the market for your own use, I don´t see any problem with this.

Hey Al,

I have an ADL and your right, its kind of a weak copy. Its seems to be made really well, good caps transformers and all.

I find it weak because it lacks character. its REALLY transparent. some may find this a good thing. I don't.

Attack and release seem to spec out like the LA2a. 500V and the tube compliment is exactly the same...

So what is it? the opto? the transformers? do you think the circuit is a bit different?

I couldn't think of a better canidate to turn into a real LA2a. I have a couple of T4b's....

I compared an ADL, Manley ElOp, and UA reissue a few years back... went with the Manley because it was 2-channels with some extra features for less than a single UA, and had that Manley character which I love for certain applications. The UA was quite nice, but a bit overpriced for what i felt it would be worth to me. The ADL definitely lacked any type of character or 'balls' compared to the other 2 units. The actual compression was fine but that's only half of the magic IMHO. It just didn't do what I expect from an LA2A, whereas the Manley and UA did. FWIW, before I did this shootout, i had been using a pair of originals every day for 2-3 years.

I'm no expert, but i'd look at the transformers first and foremost.

I didn't search carefully, but on his websitesite he doesn't seem to refer to the LA-2A at all except with respect to rebuilding T4Bs, which he's always done. I've been told he has transformers of his own design custom wound.

i don't think Manley refers to LA2A at all regarding their ELOP either, but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, well...

i think it's safe to say where these guys got their ideas from :wink:

JP, I have the stereo ADL. Yea, no balls.

I have an A-10 maybe I'll stick it on one side and see if it makes a difference. If I get brave I'll try to stick a T4b in there too.

I would think ADL's transformers would spec out better that the UTC's??

It's clearly unethical top sell somebody elses work for profit....we've established that. ...but I don't think there's anything wrong with selling your DIY gear if you don't use it anymore and want to get some funds for new materials....is there? I mean suppose I build a mic pre kit, and decide later that it's of no use to me. Isn't it still okay to sell it, as long as you give a thorough description of its' history?

I am just asking, not trying to argue with you guys. I am pretty new here so i am more interested in your thoughts than disputing them.

I just think that if you're bound to keep your DIY or simply give it away due to ethics than it really takes a lot of the value out of DIY. I mean, I can get a Nuemann Mic knowing that if I don't use it that much it will still have value...I can sell it and get something I'll use more. If I build a G7 mic and decide I am not using it enough is it unethical to sell that?

How about my Seventh Circle Preamps or Purple 1176...certainly those have a resale value after they are assembled right? Where is the line?

Shane

Back