making of a small mic out transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioaudio

here are some pics from winding a small transformer which i plan to use in the measurement mics i´ve been working on for quite some time now.
link to the measurement mics:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=266391
the beyers are not bad, but i hope to get some improvements with the new transformer.

i go for 80 Henry on the primary, that means 4500 turns on a high nickel core, ratio is 10:1, the same as the beyer which is used now.
the primary is wound with 0,053mm wire, sec with 0,1. i was trying 0,15 for the secondary first, but it wouldnt fit.
you can click on the small pics for bigger ones.

the bobbin. material for 3 sections

cut slices for the sections and glued them in place

the bobbin measures 12x14mm outside

drilling a 1mm hole for the primary lead

glueing the lead in place

starting to wind 1500 turns per section. winding 0,053mm wire, it broke after the first 30 times. ok, slower.

first section done

starting next section

and the next

at this point you don´t want the wire to break, the sections do strange things, bending away, i heard strange noises, getting hot in here :)

primary nearly done

ok don, careful now...

fixing the lead

with things being so small, taping is quite difficult

the secondary, 3x 150 turns. i tryied 0,15 mm wire, did not fit. the 0,15 feels like a rod now, after the 0,053 hair...

ok, much better with the 0,1 mm wire

secondary finished

finished coil

enjoy,
-max

thanks!
no, i have a winder with a counter. i lead the wire with my hands though, no fancy cnc here.
i did my first inductors without a machine by hand, counting in my haed. that was ok for some 600 or 700 turns, but not for 4500. also the wire would break. i would get crazy.

here´s the mic with the new transformer. it sounds very different than the beyer, wider spectrum, less tv-sound. the quantity of the difference surprices me. have to record something for a comparisson.

new_tranny.jpg

Back