PeterC's 4 LED meter question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after getting two boards stuffed and getting the audio to work fine, the meters on both boards the two green led's and the yellow stay constantly lit
regardless of position of rotary switch or 10k log. The red blinks on overload
just fine. Any ideas.

Hello everybody
A newbie question (one more... :oops:)
I would like to put a VU-meter in a SSL 9k Pre. Looks like the Green Pre one is perfect for that, but i was asking myself about how to wire it in the circuit.
According to this...
does this meter affect the audio quality in any way?

The input of the meter is well buffered, so there should be no loading on the pre-amp circuit.
...i understand that i should simply wire them in parallel with the output, and there will be no loss of the audio current in the VU circuit, so no consequence in sound quality.

Do I get it right?

Thanks
Gilles

[quote author="muadgil"]
I would like to put a VU-meter in a SSL 9k Pre. Looks like the Green Pre one is perfect for that, but i was asking myself about how to wire it in the circuit.[/quote]

Gilles, Keef has a VU that would also work with the SSL9k on his page:

(See: Universal Bargraph Driver.)

Quote from: "Neeno"

There is a way to semplify the 4 led meter to use only 2 leds or a bi-colour ? like in the original ssl mic preamps ?

Yep. Pick the two levels that you want to monitor and wire them to a bi-colored LED. Not trying to be a smart @ss, but it's really that simple. You might want to wire the unused inputs to ground, but I'm not sure if it matters.

Flatpicker - Bi colors will not work correctly as they they will mix colors. Sure the LED will light up. I Used a single 4 colour LED: Green, Blue, Blue,Red. The green in fine but when the next color (Blue) comes on then it mixes the colours as the green one does not turn off before the blue one turns on. Now what is supposed to be my red LED is some weird purple-ish colour which is the sum of colour green plus blue plus another blue plus red  :(

> Where can I find

WayBack Machine on archive.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20061214092757/http://1176neve.tripod.com/id12.html

Latest posts

Back