Bell Labs Transformers...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plunderpot1

Hello folks! A bit of an outing from my lurker-ness... :wink:

I found an old Bell tube powered mixer a while ago, and was able to keep the audio transformers. I wanted to see if anyone had any info on these or insight into whether they might be valuable for some projects (or what kind of projects those might be!). Here's the scoop:

On the side of the transformer it says:

B 20291
Model 2274
Bell Sound Systems, Inc
Columbus, Ohio

Here are some pics:

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Any ideas?

Justin

PS Hmmm, it seems I'm not evolved enough to get the images to work...

Hello Doug!

Well, that's good to know - my bad. (Fixed in the original post.) I know for sure (see pics) that the transformers say "Bell Sound Systems, Inc", but I don't still have the reel-to-reel and can't find pics of it. It said "Bell" on the handle, and I thought that it said Bell Labs somewhere on the chassis, but that may be my imagination and I picked it up on a well-intended but mis-informed search.

So, any ideas on the Bell Sound Systems transformers?

Thanks! :thumb:

I've not encountered those before. Take some DC readings; you'll have to figure out where.

I know its been forever since this post but I could use these transformers! I have a Bell Sound Systems P.A. and these are used for low impedance mics.

dsaenz said:
I know its been forever since this post but I could use these transformers! I have a Bell Sound Systems P.A. and these are used for low impedance mics.

Space permitting, you can add any low Z to grid transformer on the front end.  Given the expected quality range you may fare just as well using a HiZ plug in adapter for use with low Z mics.

What is your intended end use?  As a utility PA? 

Latest posts

Back