What foam was in old EV vari-D dynamic mics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear

I've got an old EV PL-10 that was great until the foam packed into the housing disintegrated, leaving the capsule/transformer assembly rattling loose. Whatever was in the mic, it seems to have gone the way of the foam that was inside my Ashly SC-50, disintegrated into a disgusting sticky goo.

So basically to have a usable mic again, I'm going to have to re-rig some foam. The corporate successor to Electrovoice is totally f***ing useless, of course. Anyone know what I should try to use?

Bear

They still sell the RE-10, ao they should be able to help you. Same damn foam insert.

[quote author="emrr"]They still sell the RE-10, ao they should be able to help you. Same damn foam insert.[/quote]

You'd think they could help me, but . . . Maybe I'll take another swing with tech support.

(The PL-10 doesn't have an RE series counterpart. Probably the same foam material, almost certainly a different insert.)

Bear

Nope, different design. The PL11 and RE11 were real close, but the PL10 is a wholly different beast.

I had a suggestion, when I was working on some 660s, that the filter foam from fish tanks would work. Uh-uh; it started to smell funny after a couple of weeks, and people refused to use the microphones.

Peace,
Paul

Paul, was that foam taken out of a fish tank or brand new? :grin:

Telex says they don't make the foam insert anymore. Well, duh; none of their current mics is quite the same shape. I replied fine, just tell me the material you use in the currently produced RE-16 and RE-20. [For Pete's sake, tech support demands a bit more than sitting there with that stupid look on your face.]

Bear

Latest posts

Back