Hardware/sofware and UAD-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lagoausente said:
  Considering DIY this devices for mastering, do you think it´s worth only for this purpose while using UADS for individual tracks?

Well, my idea of an ideal setup is having tons of outboard compressors and a couple EQ´s as inserts on your DAW of choice, then going to a passive summing box into your preamp of choice who best suits the music you´re mixing (or best yet, a great analog console). I think plug-in EQ is more forgiving than plug-in compression, there´s lots of plug-in eq´s i like, but when it comes to compression...mmm. On my UAD i have mostly compressors, but i can happily live with a UAD pultec and/or helios on individual tracks, but using as much outboard compression as i can. Right now, i have 18 channels of great outboard compression (both DIY and commercial) and i love it ! but i´m short on I/O, need another interface or two if i want to fire up the summing mixer again.

lagoausente said:
  How much cost a DIY Pultec, or La2A aprox?

I can´t calculate exact costs for say, my DLA2A,. To save some bucks, i ordered parts for many, many projects, big quantities...maybe the other guys can comment on this ?

Of course, with some creativity and research, you can succesfully complete any build on a budget. That´s what i believe.

I can´t calculate exact costs for say, my DLA2A,. To save some bucks, i ordered parts for many, many projects, big quantities...maybe the other guys can comment on this ?

Of course, with some creativity and research, you can succesfully complete any build on a budget. That´s what i believe.

But 18 channels of compressors must be a huge amount of money!  :eek:
  That´s a nice setup.
  You could give me an extimated price, 900$? 300$?  just aprox..

lagoausente said:

But 18 channels of compressors must be a huge amount of money!  :eek:
  That´s a nice setup.
  You could give me an extimated price, 900$? 300$?  just aprox..

Not all 18 channels are mine. Some are from the studio. But i have all my compressors installed in "my" mixing room. Studio have a couple distressors, allison gain brain, 160´s....plus my GSSL´s, DLA2A, DAOC, Modded ART PRO VLA, and more to come. But i´m short on I/O  :(

My guesstimate is around 700-800 for the D-LA2A (with drips T4B) or PM670. D-AOC seems less expensive.

Back