Presonus TubePre fault

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at this drawing:

i36mhy.jpg

Terminal A goes to the next stage. When nothing is plugged into the jack, the signal from the mic preamp comes into terminal B, is connected to A by the contact inside the jack, and goes to the next stage.

When you plug something into the jack, the swinging arm breaks the contact; now terminal A is connected to the tip of the plug that's in the jack, so you're sending an instrument's signal to the next stage. Unplug it, and you should get the mic preamp signal again.

There's a good chance that the internal contact in the jack, which connects A to B when nothing's plugged in, is bad. Another possibility is that B has become unsoldered.

Peace,
Paul

That's the "usual" input switching that I'm aware of. And I'm sure it's working in a similar way, since both "tip" contacts of the di input jacks are connected (but nothing else), but as I already mentioned, the jack + it's connections are perfectly fine. The mic input is directly connected to the pushbutton board (Phase + Pad Switch).

Thanks!
Christoph

Sometimes one oversees connections on top of doubble sided PCB´s. Maybe hiden by the compenents.
But you are sure aware of this also :green:

Did you ohm out the wiring of the molex connectors between solderpoints of mainboard and switching board. Maybe oxydation or loose connection within molex-plugs (for whatever reason never the pins). Another reason might be a faulty polarity switch.

the wiring is fine, and so are the switches :?

I have no clue whatsoever, and should probably give the thing to a proper technician...

thanks
christoph

Back