calling all the api cloners.. group buy ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruz

.. yes, you :wink:
seriously..
i was thinking that now that lots of us have their api output irons (thank you tommytones) and our shiny melcor pcb's (thank you peterc, fallout and gustav) we now all need some input irons.. aren't we?
i think that the best option is to go for the cinemag's and so i was thinking about a group order.
i can collect order, organize all, but really.. i think that an american citizen will be a lot better to collect the money, order the bunch from cinemag, etc..
what do you pals think? any volunteer?
i can't remember who but i'm sure to remember that someone already had some contacts with cinemag and already know about pricing.
well. i need 8 :green:

Count me in for 2 of them... I would do all 8 of the API's I'm building with them but I think I'm going to try different transformers in some of them.. Has anyone used the Lundahl 1538XL in theirs?

-Jay

Hi Kubi, I'm sure the input transformer makes a significant difference. If you look at 'Old School audio's' website, they offer a few different versions of their API clones with different input transformers for different sounds...

-Jay

[quote author="dukasound"]Hi
What is aprise of api output irons.
Duka[/quote]

Hi Duka..
here we are discussing about the input iron.. the output iron group order was ran by tommytones.. i can't remember the price but you should better check with him, he could have some spares.. i don't know.

[quote author="kubi"]Does the i/p iron make a big difference in sound?[/quote]

well. i think that it makes some difference.. it should..
these cinemag's seems to be the most original-like and i think that they are also cheaper then lundahl's

To my way of thinking, the input iron will likely have rather more effect on the sound than the output iron. -It is -by the way- for this reason that Rupert Neve stopped designing transformer inputs. The performance of a transformer is usually more degraded by being fed incorrectly than being loaded incorrectly, and you can control how the output iron is fed, but not the input...

Nowadays Rupert will use transformers on the output but not the input, because he wants no colouration of the signal. If you desire colouration options (a not unreasonable desire at all!) then you will probably be well served to choose from a selection of input transformers to 'tint your pallette' as it were.

Keith

The input tranny plays a pretty big role with the API's personally I think it would be a better investment in having one hacked for the specs and seeing if we can get some copies made...

oh....uh....oh....
emh...
could be.. i was used to see post like this on the main forum at RO.. so.. if it is better to move it to the black market area, please, Admin, do the move!
sorry again..

I have talked in depth with old school audio.
The input iron does effect the sound in a big way.
Doing this from memory. The post was on the old forum.
I think the unit can be bought in 3 flavors. Plus my variant.
The Altran C-3402-2 (standard transformer in sheilded can with pin on bottom)
http://www.altrancorp.com/
Is probability the cheapest route (I think they have a 100 piece min, order)
The other are Lundahls.
there are preferred for the sound. (That is why I like them the sound).
The LL7904 big huge transformer Gus used one in his mic.
LL1538XL this is the standard one. Dale at OSA
says this one gives a nice fat bass sound for kick or Bass guitar.
Toby from OSA had made very good commits about
the amphrous line from Lundahl as it provided the best low level detail
of any transformer on the planet. The cymbals had a shine to them.
Since they are one on the few transformer manfactuers using the amphorous core material. This type transformer should be way above the others because of this core material. Every thing I have heard built with ampohorus cores including vacuum tube output transformers I have liked. It is a more clean HiFi sound with the electronics doing a dissapearing act and just music coming from the speakers.

If you are looking for that round fat bass sound this may not be the best choise but the sonic benifit are great. The Lundahl amphorus versions for this application are LL1674 and LL1636.

When I do mine I am having a board pinout so I can accept many different
version of transformers. Then find what I like and use it.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Like I said, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass. It's just that all the clutter of Stickies and Group Buy posts is one of the things I disliked about the old forum.[/quote]I agree, but I do think group buys should be pointed at within the meta-thread of the circuits the group buys are related to. That way you have only one place you really need to look regarding your chosen project.
Kelley

Hi Duka..
here we are discussing about the input iron.. the output iron group order was ran by tommytones.. i can't remember the price but you should better check with him, he could have some spares.. i don't know.[/quote]

Thanks.
I sent a message to Tommy. What about input transformers. How much costs and where we can find 2520.
Duka

Latest posts

Back