Versatile supply board = support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannikin

Thought I'd kick this off -- Here is the Official thread for support with Paul's Versatile supply board, tube filaments or S/S power.

originally Found Here: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22807

***** please note ******

this order is closed, no more available at this time.

vboard.jpg

here's paul's reply to my asking if i could break the board apart for two supplies [ single ended for neve & pm 1000 ]

The +24V for Neves should be no problem. +44V for Yamahas is a little dicier; the first two supplies were designed for a maximum raw (unreg) voltage of +50v, and margins between traces were laid out with that in mind. +44V reg would mean a minimum of about +45.5V unreg, and that's at 10% low line voltage. This would imply nominal Vunreg at the input is equal to about 50V, and Vunreg would get up to 55V when the line voltage was 10% high. I'd be hesitant about that in a board designed for 50V.

It *might* be possible to run the board at +/- 22V and connect the Yamaha that way, but I wouldn't guarantee it. And I'm afraid running two different preamps from the same board would be tough unless you somehow used the negative supply as a + supply. But using the same phantom supply for two preamps would be a real invitation to ground loop problems.

I'm not saying it's totally impossible to make the board work this way, but I'd be surprised if it did. Happily surprised, of course.

I really will get the app sheet out to everyone in the next day or so. I have to write up a course description first, then it's on the priority list.

Hi folks:

Before I get to anything else, here's the newest address for the schematic:

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?pos=-1646

Okay, here's the jumper guide and related stuff.

Peace,
Paul

Jumpers for Tri-Way board

J8-13 are always used; they connect the two halves of the board. Or they're replaced by an umbilical cable if the boards are split and the raw supply is mounted in an external box. The Ch terminal is always connected to chassis ground.

These jumper settings configure power supplies V1 & V2:

+/- supply, common ground point, center-tapped transformer:
Diodes: D1, D2, D7, D8; can be up to 3A (DO-201AD)
Jumpers: J1-J5, J14
Transformer: connect hot leads to AC1, AC4, center tap to CT
Regulator ground: connect either V1- or V2+ to the load ground, and connect the load ground to G1, G2 or G3.

+/- supply, common ground point, two separate transformers or windings:
Diodes: D1-D8; can be up to 3A (DO-201AD)
Jumpers: J1, J6, J7, J14
Transformer(s): connect T1 or Winding1 to AC1, AC2; connect T2 or Winding2 to AC3, AC4
Regulator ground: connect either V1- or V2+ to the load ground, and connect the load ground to G1, G2 or G3.

Dual filament supply, V2 floating, two separate transformers or windings [you can't use a center-tapped transformer]; use V1 for voltage amplifiers and V2 for cathode followers:
Diodes: D1-D8
Jumpers: J6, J7; connect Float1 terminal to a voltage divider from B+, with a voltage 60-80V. The divider should be designed to draw about 1mA from the B+ supply.
Transformer(s): connect T1 or Winding1 to AC1, AC2; connect T2 or Winding2 to AC3, AC4
Regulator grounds: connect V1- to the load ground, and the load ground to G1, G2 or G3. Connect V2+ to the load 'ground', and the load 'ground' to the Float1 terminal

These jumper settings configure power supply V3; in all cases use D9-12 and connect the transformer leads to AC5, AC6; diodes can be up to 1A:

+ supply, grounded to main ground:
Jumper: J15
Regulator ground: connect V3- to the load ground, and connect the load ground to G1, G2 or G3.

+ supply, floating:
Jumper: connect Float2 terminal to a voltage divider as above
Regulator ground: connect V3- to the load 'ground', and connect the load 'ground' to the Float2 terminal.

The specified heatsinks are Wakefield 637-xxABP, where xx can be 10, 15 or 20. Those correspond to 10, 15 or 20W nominal dissipation; in practice, if you plan to pass a lot of current, I'd use TO-3 packaged regulators and a heatsink rated at nominal 25W.

Resistors - maximum sizes:
R1-3 3W metal oxide
R4-6 1 ohm 2W metal oxide
R7-9 5W wire-wound
R10-12 24 ohm 1/4W carbon film
R13-18 1/4W metal film
R19-20 2W metal oxide
R21 3W metal oxide

Capacitors:
C1-3 Epcos or Wima MKP series
C4-6 Max 22mm diameter, 10mm snap-in pins, Panasonic TSHA series or equiv.
-or- Max 16mm diameter, 7.5mm lead spacing, Panasonic NHG series or equiv.
-or- 2 x max 12.5mm diameter, 5mm lead spacing, Panasonic NHG series or equiv.
C7-9, 16-18 Max 8mm diameter, 3.5mm lead spacing, Panasonic NHG series or equiv.
C10-12, 19-21 Epcos or Wima MKP series
C13-15 Max 16mm diameter, 7.5mm lead spacing, Panasonic NHG series or equiv.
-or-
C13a-15b Max 12.5mm diameter, 5mm lead spacing, Panasonic NHG series or equiv.

Regulators:
REG1 LM317T or equivalent; for high currents use LM317K
REG2 LM337T or equivalent; for high currents use LM337K
REG3 For phantom power TL783, TO-220 case; for lower voltages LM317T

Latest posts

Back