Using the gyraf pultec gain stage for 2 channel tube mixer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbaker

I posted this on another thread in which someone was looking to build several channels of g9 line only for a small tube console. Someone suggested using the pultec gain pcb (especially because many people have them laying around)

I have 2 of those boards.

like many people when I record guitars, I'm generally blending between 2 mics. I normally do this with aux tracks in protools and buss them to a regular track. It works, but why not do it before the converters?

Is anyone willing to describe what I'd have to do to make this work?

I've read through the meta on mixers---I understand some of it, but many of the links to schematics and drawings are now gone.

From what I can tell there's a few ways to do it:

1: the Y cable (with resistors) simply using my preamp gain to control level.

2: passive summing (with attenuation?) followed by makeup gain

3: fully active? is that how it's described?

As you can see my ability to figure this out myself is limited. I just want it to sound great. A little bit of coloration isn't necessarily a bad thing since we're talking about distorted guitars etc.

if you are just summing two things passively the loss is only about 3db so you dont have to worry about makeup gain. easiest way to do what you want is just rig up a Y cable with resistors.

It's 6dB, actually--assuming the source impedances and mixing resistors are about the same, which is usually the case. Still, it's probably not enough to justify sticking an extra amplifier in the chain.

What if I were to want to expand to 4 channels? The loss would then need make up gain?

Aside from mics for guitar amps, I was thinking it might be cool to run mixes through it with parallel compression etc.

Latest posts

Back