Would something like this be useful in your work?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

A passive filter box with switchable 50/100Hz highpass and a midrange filter (say, for example, 0 to -12dB in 2dB steps) with a couple or three selectable center frequencies? I'm thinking of a utility "garbage removal" box for a mix or individual tracks.

That would be great in a Lunchbox format - could just hook it up after the preamps and leave it there!

[EDIT]: Maybe even a de-esser in there too:p

[EDIT_2]: (!!) Okay perhaps a lunchbox wouldnt even be needed. Point is - its a good idea :oops: :roll: :green:

Gareth

Yes, a lowpass is also a good idea. So essentially, we're talking about what they used to call a "sound effects filter" with a variable midrange dip added.

Instead of the old 600-ohm in/out design impedance, I'm thinking that </= 1k source and 10K load impedance might be more useful in most present-day setups. It would be desirable for the filter to have zero insertion loss in the passband (and that puts a limit on the range of acceptable load impedance).

Would be very nice! Especially in music with a lot of synths, HPF's really help clarifying the mix.

:thumb:

Cheers,
Corneel

A 4 or 8 channel unit like this would be perfect for me. I think HP frequencies of 30 and 60 would be more useful for tracking for me. I guess it depends how steep they are.

Brad

i think its a good idea.

maybe a switchable slope on the hpf and lpf would be great...something like 3db,6db,12db,18db per octave.

i 2nd brads mention of 30 and 60hz.

Definitely, would be very useful. Not enough highly sensitivity condenser mics have built-in HPF, in my opinion. I end up using EQ plugins on many tracks in mixing. Inserting filters between the interface and the summing box would likely sound much better.

All right, I'm hashing out some ideas on paper. This isn't going to come together anytime real soon, I just wanted to get a sense of what kind of demand might exist for such a device.

The problem with any device that must be operated from/into a specified impedance--and that definitely includes passive filters such as this one--is that people tend to ignore such details and then bitch and moan when it doesn't work right. I'll have to think this over.

Latest posts

Back