Patch bay question-what cable works well with 66 punchdown?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytrehalf

I got a deal on an Audio Accessories TT patchbay that has Belden 9451 cable terminating to Adtran "66" style punchdown blocks.

I need to order cable to connect my gear.

I've been warned that some newer styles of cable won't work as well with this puchdown block because the plastic wire covering may be too thin.

Anyone have experience with these punchdown blocks?

I'm looking for a readily available, good quality cable that will make a good connection with the Adtran blocks.

66 blocks are really intended for solid wire, and that's what yields the best results. But most 24-22ga. stranded can be used if you do the punches carefully and well. I did the intercom system at the old TV station with 66 blocks and 24ga. multipair snake cable and it worked well--or at least it didn't fail for the remainder of the time I worked there :wink:

Use a good impact punch tool with the proper 66 bit; don't cheap out on a non-impact tool. The Paladin impact punch tool does a decent job, and I think you can even find them at Home Despot. I can lend you mine if they cost too much.

I tried the 66 blocks in my studio installation with all kinds of problems with shorts & broken strands. I since discovered Siemon's 110 punchdown blocks are actually rated for 22-26ga 7-strand wire as well as the usual solid conductors. I'm currently installing those in place of the 66 blocks--much easier! Since the Belden 8415/9415 conductors' insulation is a little meatier than the typical Cat-5/6 cable you really have to slam the daylights out of the C-clips to get them on, but so far so good.
I got mine from Wise Components. Siemon's web info on the solid/stranded conductor capacity of their C-blocks can be found here.

--Bob

That's true, but I think he wants to use the 66 block that's already prewired to his patch bay.

The best punchdown I've used for stranded audio wire is ADC QCP. But those blocks are expensive and the tool is only available from ADC as far as I know.

If you want #24 with a thicker insulation, try AES/EBU-compatible cable such as Belden 1801B. Since the terminals cut through the insulation, though, I don't know if it'll make a big difference.

Back