Using Ipod to record Audio.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankgb

Hey,

has anyone used an Ipod to record audio.

And what do you use as an input device, the only one I've seen is the Belkin one.

I'm hoping to do some stereo location recording using mics into the Ipod.

Many Thanx

Frank Berend

Hi Frank,
how did you solve your situation?

I would also like to record with my ipod.
I have a Shure ECM 907 stereo microphone that I would like to connect to the ipod, but I dont know how coul I do that.

PRR has commented on the Macally iVoicePro as a decent stereo input device. I bought a dock connector with an attached PCB from Sparkfun, but haven't had luck getting line-in working.

I've been recording with the new/current nano with its built in Voice Memo recording.  It's mono.  Uses the built-in microphone.  No attachments necessary. 

It's not top quality, but fine for personal use and detailed enough to hear everything. 

It's one of the reasons I bought the current model nano.  Saving me from using a cassette recorder for rehearsals and on-the-fly recordings and ideas, compositions.  You can use it very unobtrusively as well, no one would know you're recording.  It's not "production" quality, because of the tiny built in mic, however for every other type of recording it's fine.

For quality stereo recordings there have been many mic adaptors over the years for various iPods.  Call your local Apple store and search the web.

I was thinking of getting a line in from a dock connector,
Pin 4 is Line in L
Pin 5 is Line in R
and Pin1 is groung

my idea was using it with my sony ecm907 microfone,
it's a stereo mic. with mini jack connection, so each side is umbalanced, the same has the line ins in the ipod.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=11035340

I would need some sort of small/battery preamp in between the Sony Mic and the Ipod

it's a new 160gb iPod Classic,
I can't find the option to record files in the menu, it should be "voice memos" or something,
anyone knows how to access that?

Over at sparkfun.com I believe you can still buy ipod dock connector breakout pcbs.  There should be some way to wire up that to a couple trs or other and just feed line input.  I think there was discussion about ipod pinouts to turn its inputs on (certain resistance value btween two pins?), so doesn't SEEM too hard. Whole nother story if that would actually work or not.  ;D

Sounds so complicated, guys.  I know this is DIY, but come on....  :-\  Just buy a stereo mic that plugs into the iPod!  In the past they've been about $40... and the recordings are very high quality.

well i was trying to do it for the phone, and a mono mic is the only thing you can connect ( i'm not sure that the input is flat)
thru the dock line in is not working thru pins 4 and 5 line out works well though.

Latest posts

Back