Altec 1567a Help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee

Hi everyone. I have an old 1567a that has barrier strips on it and I'm completely clueless how to connect the pigtails. I'd like to use this as a mic preamp and also as a line amp as well. Since I'm hopelessly stupid when it comes to electronics, your help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.......Lee.

Thanks Doug and ciminosound, but I have a copy of the manual and I'm still not sure how to connect the pigtails. As i said, I'm hopelessly stupid when it comes to this stuff. I'm afraid I'll screw up and fry something!

What I really need is someone to tell me what wire goes to which screw on
the barrier strip inputs and outputs - ie; Hot to this number - Neutral to that
number etc.

Thanks so much - sorry to be such a pain.....Lee.

Hi CJ. I'd like to know how to connect the pigtails to the input and output barrier strips. Which connectors do I attach the hot, neutral and ground wires of the pigtails?

There are 4 inputs with connectors numbered 1 to 4. The output strip has 6 connectors and there is a smaller strip that has 3 connectors that appears to be an input and output as well. ???????? :roll:

As I said, I'd like to use this piece as a mic preamp and also as line level in the mix, but I haven't got a clue how to hook up the pigtails to accomplish this.

I really envy the knowledge you gents have about electronics. Oh the things I could do.........................

Thanks again for all your help........Lee.

Hi everyone. For a visual of what I'm trying to do, here's a link to the 1567a
manual and connection diagram that ciminosound provided.

http://www.purpleaudio.com/pdflib/altec1567Amixer.pdf

It's all Greek to me!

Thanks again.....Lee.

First of all, avoid using the phrase "hot, neutral and ground" except when referring to AC mains power. Otherwise you'll confuse everyone.

Be specific about which plug-in transformers--if any--the unit has (e.g., 15095A, 4722) and which slots they're in, what you want to connect to the inputs (low-Z mics, high-Z mics, "other") and what you want to connect to the output (balanced line, unbalanced line, high-Z, low-Z). THEN we can tell you which terminals to use for what.

Hiya Dave. First off, thanks for correcting my terminology (like I said, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff).

The unit has four 4722 transformers in inputs 1 to 4, and one 15095 transformer at the output. I'd like to use this unit in two ways. 1. As a mic preamp when recording using a large diameter condenser - balanced in and out. And 2, as a line level amp to use later when mixing - balanced in and out if possible.

The pigtails I'm using have balanced xlr connectors where pin 1 is Ground, pin 2 is Hot and pin 3 is Neutral (that's what I was refering to in my other post). However, I'm not sure where to connect them on the barrier strips.

Thanks for all your patience and help.....Lee.

INPUT:

1. - (XLR pin 3)
2. N/A
3. + (XLR pin 2)
4. Shield/ground (XLR pin 1)

For balanced line-level input, use a line-to-mic pad.

OUTPUT:

1. - (XLR pin 3)
2. Jumper 2 and 3 together
3. See above
4. + (XLR pin 2)
5. N/A
6. Shield/ground (XLR pin 1)

I recommend the terms "plus and minus" or "high and low" or "positive and negative" instead of "hot and neutral." The latter has a strong association to mains power wiring and, like I said, can cause confusion if you use it to refer to audio. Besides, in a balanced line, the "low" side is not a neutral at all.

Indeed!

I know this is heresy, but (so far) I haven't bothered to build phantom supplies into my home-made preamps. I have a four-channel "ATUS" phantom supply box and it works fine.

Dave, thanks so much for all your time and help. I really appreciate your efforts. I'll try these connections tonight. Now all I have to do is hope that this "vintage" piece of equipment actually works! Thanks again.

All the Best.....Lee.

If for any reason you can't find it PM me. I think I have it saved. Just a tip, save these old schematics when  you can. They aren't all always online

All the best,

Latest posts

Back