Alesis 3630 mod Page can someone post pics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrayCat

Can anyone post some pictures for the Alesis 3630 mod for me? Not that I'm too cheap to have a web page it's that I have no time to build one let alone maintain it.
I did the Alesis 3630 Mod about 3-4 months ago which did get me into the DIY IRON TO SOLDER mode so for that I thank the inferiority of the Alesis 3630 as it comes out of the box. I used the SOIC chips from burr brown and THAT 2180LB's. This mod made a huge improvement on the noise floor when the compressor recovered after it compresses. The gate cutting noise improvement was not noticeable to my ears but from what I read on the OLD threads scope wise improved some signal noise. Since you can eisily repair this gate mod do it anyway, feels good to cut wires and not blow up. Ask any EOD tech!!! Now I will give a few caveats to the project, DO get a Temperature controlled Soldering Iron, Do get a large Magnifying glass to see the alignment of the SOIC Legs on the adaptor Use plenty of light and take your time. If you diss-assemble the unit bag and tag the goodies first before you move on. Someday you may have to clear the kitchen table to eat on and it's easier to pick up bags than washers and panel nuts. If you are not interested in the MOD enjoy the noise qualities. I have been corresponding with a DIY'er from N.Y. so most of the correspondence I have saved with FAQ's that are really relevant to the project. Let me know if you are interested in a step by step insrtruction page. If your here to begin with you have the skills to do this MOD. One Step At A Time! I have also popped open the ALTO line of compressor, almost the same configuration as the 3630. For $100 CDN I may mod It as well. The ALTO sounds cleaner than the 3630 to begin with so some topology is better to start with. THAT 2250 and TL72's from what I remember. I didn't check the power supply, wall wart interior supply can't remeber. Anyway I'm rambling on. If anyone is interested in a step by step mod checklist I can formulate it and post it here.

Hi Jickel

Is that you Paul?

Yes it's me.

Thanks Peter. I'm thinking of a DIY Page from start to finish on that subject with references to the preferred method to install a SOIC chip with a PACE Kit to the way I did it ala basement DIY method. I'm not very versed on anything about trimming inside the Alesis 3630 so if anyone has the trimming chops buy all means forward that info. I didn't trim mine and it sounds good so I left it alone. Let me know what format you would like for the page. Text type, picture size and resolution etc. I'd do whatever is necessary to set it up. Save DIYers the leg work for resources required to get the MOD done in the least downtime and mistakes. I'm trying to get a few more skills such as High Reliability Soldering and Circuit Run Repair courses to share some real world soldering and PCB tips. Cheers
DIY :grin:

Stray Cat, I can upload anything you want that's relative to the project. Just let me know how you want to present it. Maybe we could do it together. Let me know.
Sean

Hey Peter, I just diss assembled My 3630(AGAIN) and took pictures of the diss-assembly process. I wrote up a step by step detail list for and basic must have tools. For the chip identification I have my part numbers and the ones from your article. The solder removal and soldering details are next. I'll probably find a resource site for this info but worst case scenario I'll mock up a couple pictures in paint. I'm just about done and will forward the diss assembly detail and pics to you in sets. with the steps. The files are pretty big so 2-3 at a time will keep em together and won't choke your e-mail. Soon, soon. Jickel, send me any of the details that you would think I should address. I can send you the step by step list for editing, kinda use you as a test bed for understanding what I wrote. I still have all the pics I sent you but lost some of the e-mail. Thanks honey for clearing up some space....If you still have it (3630 correspondence) then could you send it back. Thanks in advance if you can.

Paul

Latest posts

Back