Hurray!!!! Got my first mixbus ssl ripoff working!!!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good deal!
The DIY project got rid of the ol lady, right when you were
about to get bored, ( usually takes me a month), the DIY is
done, now you get to get into something new, fresh, and
exciting, get it?
Oh happy DIY!
Good for what ales you.

Igor knows dang well how to thumbnail those bandwidth chewing pics,
but he is proud, and I would be too!
:thumb:

[quote author="Igor"]...SSL and Gyraf.
Last sounds IMHO not very good compared to link-after-detector.[/quote]

Hey Igor,

Stunning work as usual... but -as the person who's been trying to "repopularise" the link-after-detector approach, I feel obliged to say that for whole-track compression, I completely agree... however, you really should try switching to and from the 'Aarhus' mode for a drum/bass submix -WITHIN a full track mix... You may be surprised.

Certainly, while I am an 'evangelist' for the "Oxford" mode, the "Aarhus" mode does have certain applications at which it is VERY good...

EXCELLENT layout, BTW... I notice that you also allowed parallelling VCAs; great work AGAIN!

Keith

Thank you, SSLTech, I have a tones of respect to you and a
work you did on SSLMixbuzz, this was actually "fire-up" for this project.
Yes, AArhus link promiss to sound nice on drums, at this moment proto unit done on
one 2181c each channel passing tests in my friend's studio and I will run it
in some studios to get feedback from people before making complete unit.
I feel better with vca's sound of 4x2181a but bit un-trimmed (to get 0.01% of THD, 2nd harm. 12 db higher than 3rd)
just at the point you allmost can't hear this dist. on clean monitoring but it adds...summmthing nice!

Chris, thanx, right at the point!!!
;)))

Matthias:
threshold/makeup pots are Bourns, ordered from Farnell:
Order Code: 9358293
Manufacturer Part No: PCW1J-B24-KAB103L
Auto attack time: like in 33609, say, R1 parall. (R2-series-Diode)
Befor diode conducts, attack slow (r1 say 33k)
When diode starts to pass current at 0.7v (actually lower)
then current pass thru R2 say 1k, i.e. after 5 db of GR attack becomes faster. Same thing happens in la-2 (depends of photores. used).

So guys for the uninitiated, what is the difference between Keith's Ultimate Comp & Igor's .Is it basically the same?All I know is that the method of detection has an influence of how the mix is squished.

Hi Jurgen, see this tread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=23977
You can found schems and pcb comp placement there.
Used 4301's detector & opamps for out metering.

[quote author="codered"]So guys for the uninitiated, what is the difference between Keith's Ultimate Comp & Igor's .Is it basically the same?All I know is that the method of detection has an influence of how the mix is squished.[/quote]

Igor basically has the switch between the detection method which I devised and the original Gyraf summed detection.
On his front panel it's labeled "Oxford/Aarhus".
My own unit eventually was modified to include the exact same switch... I just haven't taken pictures of the unit since then.

It makes a COLOSSAL difference! Two completely different characters for stereo use!

Keith

In this unit, by pressing one knob, all controls links to leftside control.
I.e. it can be stereo compressor with single controll like gssl/or original SSL and fully separated dual mono compressor.
3xdg403 and 1xdg409 used for this purpose.
If someone wants to do same link stuff, I recommend relays ;))))
DG's are working just fine, but it is hard to get those freaky dg's in Israel, and relay's Ron is only few milliohms. DG's are 12...38 Ohm measured.
Keith, I tryed AArhus link on drums, 4:1 med attack med release sounds just sweet, but for whole mix, again, Oxford is the best.
BTW, was surprised how does this compressor sounds on panned accoustic guitars!

Latest posts

Back