how many using daw/analog or digital console?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badperson

I was reading thru the "what are lab members tracking to" thread, and I was wondering how people incoorporate their diy pieces into their work.

I'd like to build a couple comps and eq's, but I just have an 001 with a couple external pres. I imagine I'll need a console to go with it.

If you're bypassing the pre's and eq of a console, how does the console effect the sound? Since my 001 has limited i/o, I was thinking of something small; like a 16 channel alesis or something. Then I could submix out of pt, and use the eq/comp and a hardware reverb on my mixes. Right now I stay in the box once I get there.

Anyone else work like this?

thanks.

bp

I have a Tascam FW-1884 that i use at home for messing around and laying down ideas with Cubase SX 2. Right now all i have hooked up through the outs is a shurelock that i use on drums and it sounds fine. I have noticed that it is slightly noisier than normal, but not enough to bother me.

My Delta 44 soundcard only has line-level inputs, so I use an analog console for mic preamps and occasionally for rough mixes.

If you're just thinking of using the console to interface line-level processing, why bother? Just run from a soundcard output into your processing and then back into a soundcard input and make that a new track.

As for how a console will affect your sound for mixing... how much time do you have to read reams of arguments on various pro audio boards? Some swear by analog summing, others say it makes no difference. Worth trying, anyway.

It is good that you brought it on. I hear clear difference between "Bouncing to Stereo File" and Analog Summing outside the DAW. I've read very nice atrticle from Fred Forssell on the topic.
http://www.forsselltech.com/summing buss.htm
I wanted to ask what would happen if we inject the summed sinal to the OA trough input transformer, as I am thinking of using some of my API clones for building an external summming device.
I've been wondering is it better to do it with or without the Input Trafo?
How the transformer would influence the design logic?

Cheerz

I've done both and I find myself doing more and more inside the box.

I should point out that I'm doing more with the signal with better equipment and making better choices on the way into the DAW than I used to.

I'm using Emu/Ensoniq Paris as a DAW and digital mixer. I'm with Kev on this one, I find myself processing more tracks on the way in than during the mixdown. I like making decisions early, and committing to a sound. I used to record everything clean, and adjust it all in the mix, but that just takes too much time, and it often is too open ended in terms of possiblities...which for me was ending up with far too conservative mixes. Now I'll compress, EQ, distort, whatever on the way in....

I usually stay inside the box though....I only use the outputs for aux effects at mixdown (verbs and delays mostly).

Cheers,

Kris

Latest posts

Back