Pots and switches with Longer Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I'm doing a dual 1176 UA style with the silver panel in the back and the black outer panel. The original pots and switches that are in the BOM do not have a thread that extends long enough for a nut to grab on. I've contacted Mouser and they tell me that they don't make any longer threads, but somehow this just can't be true. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sig

I was able to get regular Alphas to bolt up thru both plates. I didn't use any washers and there was JUST enough thread to get them nice and tight. Just be careful you don't strip them tho...
Your case may be different than mine. But I doo have the backing plate behind the faceplate.

No, it's just a bit too thick between the 2 panels. I can't seem to find anything at Mouser at all that goes beyond the standard 24mm pot. Wonder what else I could do here.

Thanks,
Sig

This is a constant problem restoring old gear also, and I've not found a good solution. Pots used to have a half inch of thread and an inch and a half of shaft that you could cut down if needed.

As long as you have two panels... (one panels whith covers the other panel) you could try this...
A pot mounting plate (incl. spacer bolts of course... not shown in the drawing). Maybe you have to use an extension for the pot shaft....

Sigfried.jpg

Just an idea.... it needs some works of course. But you could place the 6 pots on one panel... so you only need two more panels which are easy to make.

Frank.

[quote author="Mailliw"]Can you drill a big hole in the plate behind so the entire pot fits up against the front plate?[/quote] When I get a control panel made by a trophy plaque engraver, I have the panel holes bigger. The threaded shaft isn't long enough, I can tighten the nuts without warping the panel, the knobs cover the hole.

Latest posts

Back