Single CMOS-IC forms inexpensive inductance tester

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

For the people that don't have an inductance meter but do have a scope (not unlikely) - or don't have an inductance meter but do have a frequency meter/counter (less likely), the following might be of interest:

http://www.edn-europe.com/singleicformsinexpensiveinductancetester+article+1742+Europe.html

68f1.jpg

Inverter IC1A provides an additional 180° phase shift from input to output
Nope, but let's not further comment on this :wink:

Enjoy,

Peter

Something a lot of us could use is a decent incremental inductance bridge or tester. I breadboarded a simple circuit using a BJT as a current source a couple of years ago, but it has some shortcomings.

This might be a good topic to take up in the Drawing Board. In the meantime, here's some reading from 1943:

PDF

Anyone have a schematic for a digital impedance meter at 1KHz.? I have an old beat up analog one, but I would like to put something together more compact and robust. 50ua meters don't take too well to falling off ladders and bouncing around in the back of a van.

A 1kHz tone generator, a calibrated bridge circuit and an AC null detector would do it. In place of a meter for a null detector, how about a circuit that drives an LED? For instance, the LED extinguishes (or lights up) at null and you read the impedance off the dial that controls the variable arm of the bridge.

Back