Best PSU solution for 2 SCA preamps in a diy chassis?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthyrich33

From what I've seen, most transformers don't fit into a 1ru enclosure. So, I plan to put 2 Seventh Circle Pres into a 2ru metal chassis. Any idea on a power supply solution that won't break the bank and will have plenty of power for two of the SCA C84's or 2 of the new T-15?

Thanks.

-poor rich

1st: where are you located?? There's JLM audio in Australia with awesome PSU kits....you need a simple +/- and +48 PSU.........try Digikey for the torroid!

The Carnhill VT31284 is specifically designed for 1U dual mic amps.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/Transformers_and_Inductors.html

Primary: 110v-0-110v

Secondaries: 20.95v-0-20.95v @ 0.27A and 50v @ 0.023A

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Don't I also need something like this?
psu1848promo1.jpg

Thanks for the help. I'm going to dive into this diy thing headlong.

Oh yeah. I'm in Phoenix, AZ

That one from five fish is 40 dollars plus shipping...so likely about 50 dollars. Would there be a better option for me through JLM as far as quality and price? If so, please point me to the actual JLM model that would work best. Thanks so much. Sorry. I'm new.

The JLM kit is great, we've built two and love 'em. Here's the link:

http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM Power Supply.htm

You want the three rail version.

The SCA stuff seems really cool, a friend of mine just got several channels and I'm excited to hear what he thinks.

You might want to look at the JLM Baby Animal mic pre kits as well--they're supposed to be a great sounding starter project. Joe (of JLM) sells a rack for them that will save you a lot of metal work, which for me was the least enjoyable part of my first DIY project.

Just a thought...

I have a rack of 8 SCA pre's right now. I paid an electrician friend 50 dollars per board to build 5 A-12's and 3 C84's and get it all up and running and calibrated. I think it was worth it to watch and help out where I could. Better to have something that worked than have $2500.00 worth of crap. I'm ready to try something on my own this time...or with a LOT less help. The new T-15 from them seems much easier. They (SCA) are great preamps, by the way. They sound amazing.

Thanks again.

That one from five fish is 40 dollars plus shipping...so likely about 50 dollars.

BTW, my shipping is only $5 since you're here in the US (see order page). For additional psu kits, just add $3 to each item.

If your shipping charges total more than $5, it gets shipped Fedex Ground so you have a tracking # also.

[quote author="filthyrich33"]I have a rack of 8 SCA pre's right now. I paid an electrician friend 50 dollars per board to build 5 A-12's and 3 C84's and get it all up and running and calibrated. I think it was worth it to watch and help out where I could. Better to have something that worked than have $2500.00 worth of crap. I'm ready to try something on my own this time...or with a LOT less help. The new T-15 from them seems much easier. They (SCA) are great preamps, by the way. They sound amazing.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Stuffing the T15 will be easy-- that's true. It's everything that comes after that stage that will be difficult.

For me, stuffing the cards is the easy part, even when it's something more complicated than the T-15.

It might be worth considering buying another SCA rack and PSU and then filling it up over time. It seems like you're selecting your pre for ease of assembly, so I'm suggecting that you might want to extend that logic to the whole project, as finally wiring up and racking the whole deal can really be the toughest part.

Anyway, maybe it's good for things to be hard, I know I learn more that way and I certainly have a long way to go with DIY.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back