Gyraf Pultec vs. Original

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonwerker

Hello Gents,
is there a noticable difference beetwen this Pultecs -
or in other words: is it worth to focus the original!
Thanks
Stef

Hi

I made the Gyraf Pultec but i don't have any experience with a real pultec. But my guess is that the Gyraf Pultec is quite different to the original. The make up stage is different and the Gyraf Pultec uses Lundahl transformers where the original uses different brands and also a line in, interstage and output transformer.

If you want to get as close as possible i guess it's best to use the pultec layout by cayocosta and use the Sowter replacements for transformers and inductors. Sure you can hunt for the original transformers but i guess then it's easier to just go and buy a original pultec on ebay.

Flo

is it worth to focus the original!

In my experience the original is right for some things and very much not for others, I'd guess the same is true of the Gyraf. I think the only real answer to your question is to build them, try them and you'll see what works for you. You might hate both of them or love both for different reasons.

just a different line amp so you don't have to buy the expensive innerstage transformer, HS-29, btw, my pal Andy is selling his last pair of HS-29's on ebay right now. so if you want the original, this is your last chance as you will never see these transformers again. he sets the reserve at 450 for a pair, so get out your wallet and pray that it's fat!
cj

Latest posts

Back