Sumthing Wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clister01

Hey,

Could someone explain how to wire my output XLRs to the Sumthing outputs? There are 6 points per channel and I'm not sure which one goes where... thanks!

-Cameron

If you look at the bottom you'll see that 3 points are connected to ground. The six points are for your convinience regarding what kind of PCB connector you have . The important ones are (from left, top view) 4,5 and 6.

Ok.... so pins 1-3 on the pcb are all ground options... but how do I figure out which pins of the remaining 4-6 on the PCB connect to which pins on the XLR? I understand pin 1 of the xlr is ground but I don't know which PCB pins to connect to the remaining xlr pins... does it even matter?

does that make any sense?

thanks

-Cameron

If you have an ohm meter, try to put one probe on input- and the other probe on output PCB traces, the corresponding output PCB trace will be the one with the less resistance (make sure your input is no bypassed with the buttons)
Do the same with input+, etc...

This last answer confuses me... Isn't it already established that pins/solderpoints 4-6 on the PCB outputs are the output points that connect to the XLR panels/pins? My question is which of these points connects to which XLR pin? Or does it not matter?

Thanks for the help,

-Cameron

Sorry, I thought you did not know where the ouput- and output+ were...:oops:
The output XLR pin 2 connects to output+ and output XLR pin 3 connects to output-

Hey everyone... so it looks like I need a little more help with this thing. Can someone who has built this chime in?

I've wired everything up but it seems to be acting kind of funny. Basically any signal I send into the summing mixer is not making it through. At all.

BUT... if I push in the "bypass" switches my 1-2 inputs come through like they are supposed to. So it's not that I've got bad cables or anything simple like that but my guess is I'm feeding my output XLRs incorrectly for the summing to take place.

Here's a pic of how I'm using the output section of the PCB right now...

SumOut.jpg

Thanks for any help,

-Cameron

Ah! I'm a dope. That makes sense. A lot of this is paint by numbers for me. So if I understand a little more this means I could use these points for an insert accross the summed signal correct?

So I hooked up those points Holger on the board. Now I at least have signal getting through but the output level is astronomically lower than what's going in. Is this most likely a grounding issue? I've got pin 1 on the XLRs connected to my gounding point, outputs from the PCB are all grounded to the same point... is there something I should be grounding from the input?

Or do I need something to make up the gain? Or am I wrong on both counts?

-Cameron

Thanks for everyone who has answered questions! :thumb: I have been away from the forum lately (My family is about to grow!) or I would have tried to be more responsive. I've got a few DIY projects coming up so I'll be around more for the time being...

As mentioned, the project is meant to be used with a mic pre for makeup gain. The preamp I/O connection points allow you to bypass the mic pre makeup when engaging bypass to route 1/2 to the main outputs. We added this to the board for v2 because w/ v1, if you bypassed and still have the make-up gain turned up, you got a big (possibly even speaker damaging) surprise! I'd still recommend watching the volume when switching in/out of bypass in any case. The other option is to leave the bypass out entirely, in which case the jumper that Holger mentioned is ideal.

Good luck w/ the board, let us know how it goes!

Back