The Lab/TechTalk - first annual convention site selection

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orson whitfield

Like fishing? Deep sea fishing? Like Golf, snorkeling, skiing, scuba diving? Like the tropics? Here's a nice place for us to have our first annual convention. http://cheeca.rockresorts.com/info/htl.propertymap.asp

OK, it's time to start thinking about our first annual get together. Got any ideas for locations? Let's dream a bit. I'm down in the Florida Keys for vacation and thought this would be a nice place. I don't know about you guys and gals in Europe and Australia but for us in USA its an easy destination. Ofcourse, theres always Orlando, too (Disney, etc.) This idea probably won't fly but I thought it would be cool to have a get together of some sorts. There are definately enough of us to get group discount rates, etc. If everyone brought one piece of gear they made with them we could stack them together and make a hell of a photo to place on our new homes' start page. But taking a home made electrical device through airport security might be a drag :roll: .

If it can't be in New York (which would be convenient as hell for me, Jrmintz, Soundguy, Technetium, Ytrehalf and others), then I vote for Brazil, the land of girls, sun and fun. Rafael can put us up, right? :grin:

Good point! :green: However, some of us might want/need to make this a family get a way aswell while we are at it. So I thought a destination where the other half can take the kids while we do our thing.

groupbuy for flighttickets from europe? charter a jumbo? how many european members?? hehe :green:

steff

I'm planning to get together with at least one or two later in the year, in Britain. (sort of a Kent-II visit!) Liverpool would be one location, London a secons possible venue.

For the US leg, I vote Orlando... (guess why!!!)

Keith

Are you actually suggesting I spend money on anything other than DIY gear? :green:

I may be able to get in on this depending on what the final arrangement is. I probably would not be able to go if it is outside of the US. It's a money issue. I don't make that much of it. :wink:

What, nobody wants to come to Wisconsin?!?! :roll:

Chicago would be centrally located...not to mention very close for me. :) Plus I went to school in Orlando, so that doesn't sound fun. I vowed never to go there again... Sorry, it's just too damn hot and boring there. One can only take so much Mickey, you know?? :evil:

and dont forget Austin, TX... great music scene nice pubs and lots of out door things to do...

always could do it during SXSW or the ACL festival

I'll vote for austin since I live there. :grin: I know there are a few others in town.

Does anybody go to some of the other conferences anyways? I go to Tapeopcon every year, and maybe AES this year.

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]My favourite place: http://www.ck/aitutaki/index.htm
To pick this place is very fair, because everyone's having a long trip.[/quote]
Oh man! I'd LOVE to go back to Aitutaki, I was there in 1995, I'd prefer Roratonga though, not so flat. A lot of New Zealanders there, can have much more enjoyable company than to hang out with Kiwis.
Kelley

I wish I could make AES. But due to recent cutbacks at work, I won't be going on any cool trips on my employer's dime in the forseeable future. I guess I'll have to wait till it comes back around to NY.

Back