How to hook up this transformer? Now with proper drawing!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrioN

I want to hook this up as an output, 1:2 ratio.

I don't know if this information is enough, but its all I got:

transformer.jpg

If you don't know the turns ratio, why do you assume it's 2:1?

Try feeding a sine wave into it at a known voltage and measuring the output voltage. Then you will know the turns ratio.

There are other tests you can do to find out more about it's AC characteristics, but you should start with the simple one first.

[quote author="CJ"]you drink too much.
:green: [/quote]

That I do. That I do..

[quote author="CJ"]serously, is that 17 or 170 ohms?[/quote]

17 ohms.

Don't need to open it up physically though.
Using a set of black-box circuit analysis measurements you can find out a great deal about it, enough to determine its usefulness in the intended circuit configuration.

We haven't been told what the intended use or schematic is yet. The OP has only said that he wants to use it in a 1:2 configuration.

It'll be used as a 1176 output trannie.

I don't understand why the impedance of the two secondary windings are not the same :?
Here is a more detailed drawing:
transf2.jpg

If that´s really how it goes about the windings, you will want to unsolder the grounding connection of the upper-left pin to ground, so that it works as it should with isolation and proper loading.

rafafredd, what picture are you refering to? The correct one is the drawing, the other pics are incorrect... centertap is the pin in the middle of the 3 pinned row

You can connect it three different ways. either way, you shoud not ground any pins. You can do it 17R to 73R, 17R to 56R or 17R to 73R+56R.

Really, it´s very simple. You will figure it out, just do not ground any pins, got it?

Back