Microphone Test Software...?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercup

Hi

Does anyone know how to test microphones and produce polar pattern diagrams, spl figures etc?
I realise that a simple anechoic chamber can be built with a full range speaker inside but there must be some software that works it all out.
If only I could find it.......

Thanks.

Um....

If Anechoic chambers were 'simple' there's be a lot more of them about.

If software were available which made them unnecessary, there'd be NONE of them about.

The fact that there are a few around -not none and not plenty- gives your answer.

And there is NO software that can tell you about polar patterns. -You need to give some more thought to the physics involved, methinks.

Keith

what keef you don't have an Anechoic chamber? :razz: There was a studio in Nashville that when it was first designed by tom Hidley, the control room was Anechoic. Hidley felt it made for more accurate mixes. I have to disagree as it's far from a natural enviroment. But anyway talk about the weirdest room I have ever been in.

I had met the head of Neuman microphones back in the late 90's. Well the man who was the president of the company then. He gave me a suggestion of taking a mental snapshot of the sound of a room when you first walk in. You know listening for noise of the air condition, etc, etc that way if your ever recording in it you can adjust for the various noises in the room. In an ideal situation there is none but how often does that happen?

Anyway all that to say I tried the mental snapshot of that control room and learly lost it as it was so weird. I could hear my blood flow. very very weird :shock:

Hi Keith

Yes, ok I see your point.
I think I could have worded the question a little less naively and simplistically, which might have helped.
Maybe what I need to do is find someone who already does this in England and just send them the microphone - along with a large wad of cash I imagine!!
I found this company while surfing though http://www.gold-line.com/tef/t-slsoft.htm

Interesting............ :?

Do not limit yourself to just software testing.
There are a million other tests you can do.
I have access to 11,738 AES files, yes , there are that many files , folks..
I took the stray cats off my server after I found out how rediculous it would be to try and copy all thoe files, not to mention dangerous to have sittin on your drive.
Sooooooo I scrubbed everything, but this does not mean that you can do a search on the AES search page, tell me what you are interested in specifically, give me the file #, and I will read it to you.

Just in my short time in that data base, I must have seen ten real good articles, just on mic testing

Everything from windscreens, fets vs transistors vs tubes, you name it..

And written by dead experts who knew their stuff, and, this is the good part, since tyhe articles are so old, the equipment they use is mostly simple vac circuits, not expensive sound chambers.

cj

Hi CJ

Yes!!!!
Thanks!!!!!!
What a fantastic resource of stuff.
I shall let you know when I find something.
My girlfriend is already complaining that I am glued to the computer!

Thanks. :grin:

Latest posts

Back